Powerbook Pro 64-bit
The Powerbook Pro has a 64-bit architecture.
I see the default Debian and the Mate OS are 32-bit.
Is there no 64-bit Linux OS available?
The kernel built in the default image is 64-bit, in fact. It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

If you want a fully 64-bit system, install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(11-05-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote: The kernel built in the default image is 64-bit, in fact. It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

If you want a fully 64-bit system, install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".

Thanks, will do. 
Happy with the 64-bit kernel.
(11-05-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote: It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

For compatibility with what?
(11-05-2019, 09:04 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote: It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

Existing software -- largely that made for the Raspberry Pi boards, which only run 32-bit userspace.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(11-05-2019, 09:08 AM)fire219 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:04 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:

Existing software -- largely that made for the Raspberry Pi boards, which only run 32-bit userspace.

Debian provides both, armhf 32 bit debs and arm64 64 bit debs. Why should we care for what random people compile for the Raspberry Pi? It's not a good idea to install debs from obscure sources.

Now the big question, what are the trade offs on arm?

- How much bigger are 64 bit binaries? That might be a minus on a memory constrained system.
- Can 64 bit binaries address more registers? That's a plus on a cpu constrained system.
- How much lower is the dynamic instruction count for programs in 64 bit mode?
- etc

Has anyone done some benchmarking?
I would like a fully 64-bit system; install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".
I can't find the mark "arm64".
Can anyone advise me about a good arm64 image and point me in the right direction?
(11-05-2019, 09:42 AM)hdk Wrote: I would like a fully 64-bit system; install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".
Can anyone advise me about a good arm64 image and point me in the right direction?

I can not use all my software on my beloved PowerbookPro like VNC and Stacer so I keep trying for a 64-bit user environment.
For the future I would vote for 64-bit for the user also.

Found the arm64 marks fire219 mentioned.
I tried >10 arm64 images. dd and Etcher to SSD. No luck yet.
Could use some advise about a promising linux arm64 image with Desktop.

(Slightly salved my PinebookPro with oil, fingerprints are now invisible.)
(11-06-2019, 05:11 AM)hdk Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:42 AM)hdk Wrote: I would like a fully 64-bit system; install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".

I can not use all my software on my beloved PowerbookPro like VNC and Stacer so I keep trying for a 64-bit user environment.
For the future I would vote for 64-bit for the user also.

Found the arm64 marks fire219 mentioned.
I tried >10 arm64 images. dd and Etcher to SSD. No luck yet.
Could use some advise about a promising linux arm64 image with Desktop.

(Slightly salved my PinebookPro with oil, fingerprints are now invisible.)

You're too hung up on 64bit userland, it won't solve any of the problems you think you're having.

An arm64 userland won't make Stacer compatible, you'll need to build it yourself from github for arm. The build depends on Qt5 5.10, bionic ships 5.9.5 and stretch ships 5.7.1, so you'll need to build or find a backported Qt5. It's also not supported by the author on arm* so there's no guarantee it'll even work after that.

There should be plenty of VNC clients and servers out there for armhf, you don't need arm64 for that. "apt list '*vnc*'" should give you a few options.

There's really no reason to install a 64bit userland right now, all that's going to do is consume more ram.
I thought I saw someone mention that a reason for sticking with 32-bit userland was that people want to be able to watch Netflix on their units, and the Widevine DRM system doesn't have an aarch64 version available - only armhf, which is ripped out of Chrome OS or somesuch.
I admit I haven't really been following it very closely, since I don't really like to watch TV or movies, but I believe it has been mentioned.