SSD for PBP
@bbraun Perfect, thank you.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Sorry it took me so long to get this GSheet going! Here's the link to the spreadsheet for anyone to detail their working SSDs with the PBP.

It should be fully editable, so if there's any new columns needed, you won't have to wait on anyone. I've also added what information is available from the current table on the Wiki.
Question 
Are Pine64 working on a redesigned NVMe adaptor, is the currently available one going to be it now?
(12-12-2019, 02:39 PM)tophneal Wrote: Sorry it took me so long to get this GSheet going! Here's the link to the spreadsheet for anyone to detail their working SSDs with the PBP.

[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/183dFELoHj1L6u0O7wyk8kX6WX4MfcB-aDxr24-7etdo/edit?usp=sharing][/url]It should be fully editable, so if there's any new columns needed, you won't have to wait on anyone. I've also added what information is available from the current table on the Wiki.

Thanks Smile 

(12-13-2019, 03:08 AM)Feakster Wrote: Are Pine64 working on a redesigned NVMe adaptor, is the currently available one going to be it now?

As far as I know, they are working on two things — a whole new kit that works, and a repair kit to get the old kit to work. 

I currently do not know what difference there might be between the new kit and the repaired old kit.
* Thank you for the UPDATE  !

Before I received my PBP,  I had ordered the NVMe adapter,  and received it,  then purchased the NVMe SSD...
I was really HOT to get it installed.

But upon the discovery of the problems with installation,  and the fact that it could only be used as a 'storage drive'

I took the wait and see attitude...

I still plan on using the NVMe drive eventually,  But I have been enjoying just using my PBP in the meantime...

Some have been able to make it appear to boot,  and install their OS on it.

Perhaps they will soon make it simple for consumers to use it as the boot drive. (HOPEFULLY)

(EDIT) :
There has been discussion about the different NVMe drives and power consumption, I really like the long battery life on my PBP.
It lasts much longer than any of my older Linux converted HP & Dell laptops.
IF the NVMe runs down the battery faster, I may just leave my PBP stock, or maybe just upgrade from 64gb to the 128gb.
It is Not a Hot gaming computer anyway.... It does what it does do, very well.

Shaving a second or two off from the boot time, But taking an hour or two off the 'run time' NOT WORTH IT...!
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-13-2019, 02:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: **
* Thank you for the UPDATE  !

Before I received my PBP,  I had ordered the NVMe adapter,  and received it,  then purchased the NVMe SSD...
I was really HOT to get it installed.

But upon the discovery of the problems with installation,  and the fact that it could only be used as a 'storage drive'

I took the wait and see attitude...

I still plan on using the NVMe drive eventually,  But I have been enjoying just using my PBP in the meantime...

Some have been able to make it appear to boot,  and install their OS on it.

Perhaps they will soon make it simple for consumers to use it as the boot drive. (HOPEFULLY)

(EDIT) :
 There has been discussion about the different NVMe drives and power consumption,  I really like the long battery life on my PBP.
It lasts much longer than any of my older Linux converted HP & Dell laptops.
IF the NVMe runs down the battery faster,  I may just leave my PBP stock,  or maybe just upgrade from 64gb to the 128gb.
It is Not a Hot gaming computer anyway....  It does what it does do very well.

Last I recall, that modified u-boot does make it pretty easy. I was able to flash it using the mrfixit script. The hardest part currently, would be turning the emmc off internally, to bypass it for boot. I believe its boot priority is SD, eMMC, NVMe.
(December 13, 2019)

What I have read, (Maybe I missed something new), there is still part of the boot process on the eMMC.
IF you turn that off, I do not think you will be able to complete your boot process.

You can make it appear to boot from the NVMe.

Lots of people are working on this so it may actually be possible soon

The current SoC boot order does not include the NVMe
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
It is possible to boot directly from NVMe a long time ago, just check this thread and update SPI flash according to instructions.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8439
And yes, seems that it really boots first from emmc and then nvme, but I wiped emmc so it is no problem for me.
? November 27, 2019, a Long time ago ?
Not exactly a mainstream solution, but it is interesting.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team