SSD for PBP
@"Feakster" & @tophneal, There is a Wiki section. Not sure who started it. I added a 512GB MicroSD card, since the Wiki originally listed 256GB as the maximum. (Technically I think 2TB is the maximum SD card storage, though only 1TB are currently available at pretty high prices.)

Anyway, here is the link;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Accessory Hardware Compatibility

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

In the results column, NVMe SSDs should list if they experience problems at low battery levels. That appears to be a potential problem.

It would appear someone here in the forums came up with a power adapter to keep the voltage at 3.3v to the NVMe. Ideally, it would be included in version 3 of the NVMe adapter. (Version 1 had the installation problems, that version 2 is supposed to fix.) I think I might wait, (or assist in developing), a version 3 NVMe adapter, (if that silly thing called a good paying job does not get in the way :-).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-26-2019, 03:27 PM)Arwen Wrote: @"Feakster" & @tophneal, There is a Wiki section. Not sure who started it. I added a 512GB MicroSD card, since the Wiki originally listed 256GB as the maximum. (Technically I think 2TB is the maximum SD card storage, though only 1TB are currently available at pretty high prices.)

Anyway, here is the link;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Accessory Hardware Compatibility

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

In the results column, NVMe SSDs should list if they experience problems at low battery levels. That appears to be a potential problem.

It would appear someone here in the forums came up with a power adapter to keep the voltage at 3.3v to the NVMe. Ideally, it would be included in version 3 of the NVMe adapter. (Version 1 had the installation problems, that version 2 is supposed to fix.) I think I might wait, (or assist in developing), a version 3 NVMe adapter, (if that silly thing called a good paying job does not get in the way :-).

Thanks for pointing that out @Arwen . I had assumed from previous posts in this thread that it was unwanted by others, thus my suggestion to have a document outside of the wiki. Hopefully I'll get my hands on some ssds to try out and put on that list, soon!
I can have this second-hand for 45 €, is it worth it?

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/...HIBA-512GB

[Image: 105284921.jpg?t=1574330065]

So I finally ordered this one new for 41 €: RC100-M22242-240

[Image: index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=28075]

I suggest to share the working NVMe drives here on the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...patibility
(12-04-2019, 01:39 AM)Wizzard Wrote: I can have this second-hand for 45 €, is it worth it?

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/...HIBA-512GB

Here is a review from June 2017:

https://www.storagereview.com/toshiba_xg...ssd_review

"Power
   Active Read: <4.6W typical
   Active Write: < 3.5W typical"
(11-26-2019, 03:29 PM)tophneal Wrote: Thanks for pointing that out @Arwen . I had assumed from previous posts in this thread that it was unwanted by others, thus my suggestion to have a document outside of the wiki. Hopefully I'll get my hands on some ssds to try out and put on that list, soon!

That was me  Blush

Although, I still think a Google spreadsheet or some other document outside the Wiki is a good idea.   So feel free to start one.  This way we can tally results from a large number of people, without successes and failures leading to excess annotations and edit wars.  Knowing that one drive worked for one person is good, but knowing a drive works for many people is better.

Even though others have succeeded with the current adapter, I decided to wait for the repair kit.  That way I can document the procedure, take pictures, and write instructions, based on the correct hardware most people should be using eventually.
I think it’s probably moot now. There’s a page for compatible hardware, with a table started for ssds confirmed working, on the wiki now. I forget which thread it was posted in.
(12-07-2019, 01:22 PM)tophneal Wrote: I think it’s probably moot now. There’s a page for compatible hardware, with a table started for ssds confirmed working, on the wiki now. I forget which thread it was posted in.

There is, but unlike a spreadsheet, it isn't set up tally results from a number of users. 

People can also post results in this thread.
Valid point. I don't mind starting one. Any suggestions for information additional to the wiki we should track?
(12-07-2019, 01:32 PM)tophneal Wrote: ...
Any suggestions for information additional to the wiki we should track?

If we use a spread sheet, then I'd suggest a column for firmware version. People who don't know how to get it, can leave it blank.

Ideally, we would eventually document how, (per device), to set a maximum power setting. My current miniature desktop has 2 NVMes in it. One shows this from "smartctl -a";

Code:
Supported Power States
St Op     Max   Active     Idle   RL RT WL WT  Ent_Lat  Ex_Lat
0 +     9.00W       -        -    0  0  0  0        0       0
1 +     4.60W       -        -    1  1  1  1        0       0
2 +     3.80W       -        -    2  2  2  2        0       0
3 -   0.0450W       -        -    3  3  3  3     2000    2000
4 -   0.0040W       -        -    4  4  4  4     6000    8000
So I would prefer to set maximum power setting of 2, which is 3.8watts.

For my miniature desktop, power is not an issue. But if we can find and document how to reduce the power, even at the cost of speed, that might make a NVMe in the Pinebook Pro both more reliable, and increase battery life.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I use:
Code:
bbraun@pbp:~$ sudo nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0
NVME Identify Controller:
vid     : 0x1cc1
ssvid   : 0x1cc1
sn      : 2J3920137051
mn      : ADATA SX8200PNP
fr      : S0118C
rab     : 6
ieee    : 000000
cmic    : 0
mdts    : 6
cntlid  : 1
ver     : 10300
rtd3r   : 7a120
rtd3e   : 1e8480
oaes    : 0x200
oacs    : 0x16
acl     : 4
aerl    : 7
frmw    : 0x14
lpa     : 0xf
elpe    : 255
npss    : 4
avscc   : 0
apsta   : 0x1
wctemp  : 348
cctemp  : 353
mtfa    : 50
hmpre   : 0
hmmin   : 0
tnvmcap : 0
unvmcap : 0
rpmbs   : 0
sqes    : 0x66
cqes    : 0x44
nn      : 1
oncs    : 0x5f
fuses   : 0
fna     : 0x4
vwc     : 0x1
awun    : 0
awupf   : 0
nvscc   : 0
acwu    : 0
sgls    : 0
subnqn  : (null)

ps    0 : mp:9.00W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:0 rrl:0
         rwt:0 rwl:0 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    1 : mp:4.60W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:1 rrl:1
         rwt:1 rwl:1 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    2 : mp:3.80W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:2 rrl:2
         rwt:2 rwl:2 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    3 : mp:0.0450W non-operational enlat:2000 exlat:2000 rrt:3 rrl:3
         rwt:3 rwl:3 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    4 : mp:0.0040W non-operational enlat:6000 exlat:8000 rrt:4 rrl:4
         rwt:4 rwl:4 idle_power:- active_power:-

bbraun@pbp:~$ sudo nvme get-feature /dev/nvme0 -f 2
get-feature:0x2 (Power Management), Current value:00000000
bbraun@pbp:~$ sudo nvme set-feature /dev/nvme0 -f 2 -v 2
set-feature:02 (Power Management), value:0x000002
nvme is from the nvme-cli package on the default debian install.