Pre-purchase Questions
Hi all,

Have been looking into getting a NAS and reading up about various options. Synologys aren't cheap.
I run a 2009 MacMini as a Plex server almost exclusively for music - and it's had a few issues lately.
I have some 2.5 inch drives that I could re-purpose so I was looking at a 'slim' version of the Synology NAS. It could run Plex without any transcoding - so it could be a backup Plex solution for my ageing MacMini if that died.
Then I happened upon a cheap 2011 MacMini on the local classifieds so I thought I could use the new MacMini as a home file-server and save the bucks from not buying a Synology.
Then I learnt that only 6 months ago Apple hobbled their MacOS Server software for reasons unknown.
Then, I bought my daughter a RasPi for her birthday and was doing some reading when I came across the idea of using SBCs for a NAS, and that's how I came to be here via some Youtube comparison videos. 

What I want to do with it:
Back up one Windows computer
Possibly backup one Mac Laptop
Central file storage shared incl external file access
Central file storage private "   "   "      "         "
Maybe run Plex or other media server if the MacMinis go south

So, my questions;
1) I have a Raidon Runner 2.5inch RAID enclosure (USB 3). Could I plug this into the Rock64/Rock64 Pro?
2) Is the Rock64 Pro necessarily a better choice for a NAS build than the Rock64 due to the increased RAM? 
3) Is the Rock64 stable enough? I have done some reading through these forums and there are obviously people having issues. I'm not formally trained with computers but consider myself above average. I would likely not be in a position to trouble-shoot if it didn't go to plan.
4) Will I be able to go from the 2 bay RAID above to something larger or 4 bay in the future?
5) Should I consider another SBC platform? Odroid/whatever

Thanks,

J
(11-11-2018, 06:11 PM)InSearchOfNAS Wrote: 1) I have a Raidon Runner 2.5inch RAID enclosure (USB 3). Could I plug this into the Rock64/Rock64 Pro?

if it's usb it can. Although you probably can't use the drives directly and have raid work, hardware raid is a double edged sword.

Quote:2) Is the Rock64 Pro necessarily a better choice for a NAS build than the Rock64 due to the increased RAM?

They both can have 4GB of ram, but the rp64 is 3x faster cpu.

Quote:4) Will I be able to go from the 2 bay RAID above to something larger or 4 bay in the future?

The nas case has room for 2x2.5" and 2x3.5" drives
Thanks for such a prompt reply.
1) I don't understand what you mean by "you probably can't use the drives directly and have raid work, hardware raid is a double edged sword."
I expect I would have to re-format. Is that what you mean?
2) "but the rp64 is 3x faster cpu" - did you mean to type rp64pro is 3x faster cpu?
4) "The nas case has room for 2x2.5" and 2x3.5" drives" - could any 4 bay USB enclosure work?
(11-11-2018, 06:31 PM)InSearchOfNAS Wrote: 1) I don't understand what you mean by "you probably can't use the drives directly and have raid work, hardware raid is a double edged sword."
I expect I would have to re-format. Is that what you mean?

Hardware raid is usually propriety and not standardised. Reformatting would work.

Quote:2) "but the rp64 is 3x faster cpu" - did you mean to type rp64pro is 3x faster cpu?

I test hardware using ffmpeg and my test usually takes 15minutes on a r64 but on the rp64 it only takes 5 minutes.

Quote:4) "The nas case has room for 2x2.5" and 2x3.5" drives" - could any 4 bay USB enclosure work?

Sure but you'd still need a case for which ever board you end up choosing, the nas case for the rp64 is a neat solution to house the drives and board.
Thanks for those clarifications

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DAC Questions codebreaker 1 2,446 09-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Purchase Rock64 V3? richardk 6 7,787 08-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Last Post: mcerveny
Lightbulb NAS + ​Pine64 ROCK64 = Few Important Questions FilipWozniak 8 14,063 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Last Post: default_user8
  When is it possible to purchase "rock64 rev.3" from "PINE STORE" ? t4_4t 2 4,362 03-09-2019, 05:03 AM
Last Post: t4_4t
  Some questions about r64 and ayufan android tv Synthetikz 1 2,690 03-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Luke
  New Rock64 user questions jsfrederick 1 3,069 12-18-2017, 12:37 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Interested in buying rock64 few questions Nelly 1 2,995 08-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777