How to get started?
(11-15-2016, 12:59 PM)Armbian User Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 08:52 AM)GSam Wrote: I do find it a little frustrating that there is no "download" section, or document that specifically guides you in the setup process.  It's easy for you guys, because you developed the board and use it every single day.

I doubt that  Smile

Anyway: your SD card is the main problem. Check documentation below ("getting started" there) and when you bought a new good card check out: http://image.armbian.com/betaimages/

Those are great links.  Had not seen the Armbian site before.  Thank you!
(11-15-2016, 08:52 AM)GSam Wrote: When that booted I got the desktop but no launcher bar.  I have a task bar at the top with some rudimentary menus.  The "Internet explorer" Kudi I think, does not work.  I will not load any pages.  Acts like it will, but hangs after 70% or so.  I thought I needed to update the OS, so I started the update process.  That ran for 8 hours and failed.  I need a little help getting from here to there.  There, being a useable Ubuntu environment.  Can I use the same image I loaded to the USB drive for my desktop?  Or is the image we download from you specifically made to run on Pine?
Just a FYI, the Ubuntu Mate desktop environment is not like the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment (side launch bar thingy, etc) on PC builds of Ubuntu for the last few years. The Unity DE will be too slow and unresponsive on the pine64, even if it is compatible. Ubuntu Mate is is basically how Ubuntu used to look before the Unity DE came into being, and can run without needing a lot of video/CPU resources. 

Why you were having trouble Midori I don't know. As was pointed out, I would be checking that your MicroSD is working properly, and checking how you're getting your internet connect. If it's over ethernet, maybe you're running into the GbE issue mentioned elsewhere on the forum - but if is over wifi that is a different story, and I don't know anything specific there that would be an issue. 

And no, you can't using the USB for your PC ubuntu to load ubuntu onto the pine64 - they are not compatible. It would be like trying to load the x86 ubuntu onto a PowerPC (Apple) computer - it just will not work. You will only be able to use OS images that are made specifically for the pine64. Pine64 provide debian, ubuntu and android (plus one or two others), Armbian also provide debian and ubuntu builds for pine64, and there is also the DietPi distro for pine64.
(11-15-2016, 08:58 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 08:52 AM)GSam Wrote:  Can I use the same image I loaded to the USB drive for my desktop?  Or is the image we download from you specifically made to run on Pine?

And no, you can't [use] the USB for your PC ubuntu to load ubuntu onto the pine64 - they are not compatible. It would be like trying to load the x86 ubuntu onto a PowerPC (Apple) computer - it just will not work. 

The image that you load on your SD card must be an Arm binary specifically for arm64. While you can run arm32 it is not recommended.

A binary image for any other processor type will not work;  including x86, PPC, iOS, and others.  

Having clarified that a bit;  the main point of my addition here is that you can build images for the pine board ( arm64 ) by cross-compiling. You can build the image on an x86 machine to create an arm64 binary !  Other OS(s) can be used for cross-compile too. 

But, if you download an image for the pine board it needs to be an arm64 ( processor type ) image !

Confused   clear as mud ?
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(11-15-2016, 11:12 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 08:58 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 08:52 AM)GSam Wrote:  Can I use the same image I loaded to the USB drive for my desktop?  Or is the image we download from you specifically made to run on Pine?

And no, you can't [use] the USB for your PC ubuntu to load ubuntu onto the pine64 - they are not compatible. It would be like trying to load the x86 ubuntu onto a PowerPC (Apple) computer - it just will not work. 

The image that you load on your SD card must be an Arm binary specifically for arm64. While you can run arm32 it is not recommended.

A binary image for any other processor type will not work;  including x86, PPC, iOS, and others.  

Having clarified that a bit;  the main point of my addition here is that you can build images for the pine board ( arm64 ) by cross-compiling. You can build the image on an x86 machine to create an arm64 binary !  Other OS(s) can be used for cross-compile too. 

But, if you download an image for the pine board it needs to be an arm64 ( processor type ) image !

Confused   clear as mud ?
Yes.  Makes sense.  I've ordered a new SD card and started to put a new WinIoT image on it.  This card is 128GB Class 10.  I see youtube videos of people with a Ubuntu desktop that I can't seem to find.  That was my alternative to WinIoT.  I'm about ready to give up on Win.  I just can't get it to work at all.  No matter which image I load to the SD card, I always get errors on boot up.  The last cryptic error I got was "IF IRQ NOT LESS".  Do I need to just break down and BUY an image ready SD card from PINE.  I thought I was a computer professional, but I may have to go back to Legos after this.

I have another thought.  My real goal is to use the Pine in my electronics lab as a bench mounted PC so I can look up reference material stored on my network, access YouTube videos, and use an Internet Explorer to access the online resources I need.  I have a 15.6 laptop LED panel.  I want to mount both on an articulating arm.  My thought was the Pine was perfect for this application because it's compact.  I hoped to use WinIoT because I thought the networking and shared folder requirements would be easier to manage in a Windows environment.  I may be wrong.  Can you tell me which image would be the most "stable", and fast to use that allows me: Internet access with a YouTube and Flash compatible browser, access to shared network resources with secure access (user and password), and open and view Excel, Word, and PDF documents.
(11-29-2016, 12:46 PM)GSam Wrote: I have another thought.  My real goal is to use the Pine in my electronics lab as a bench mounted PC so I can look up reference material stored on my network, access YouTube videos, and use an Internet Explorer to access the online resources I need.  I have a 15.6 laptop LED panel.  I want to mount both on an articulating arm.  My thought was the Pine was perfect for this application because it's compact.  I hoped to use WinIoT because I thought the networking and shared folder requirements would be easier to manage in a Windows environment.  I may be wrong.  Can you tell me which image would be the most "stable", and fast to use that allows me: Internet access with a YouTube and Flash compatible browser, access to shared network resources with secure access (user and password), and open and view Excel, Word, and PDF documents.

For Excel, PDF, Word viewing, access to network resources and minimal/light web browsing... I would go with a linux desktop image... the ubuntu mate one is quite good, and the debian one just needs a few tweaks.

But, for youtube (not so sure about flash?) and better internet browsing + all the rest, you're probably better off with an Android image. Trying the Android 6 image maintined by ayufan... there seem to be some good reports on that one. There are free apps that you can add on like ghost commander for the file & network browsing (IIRC ES File Explorer is another), and for viewing/editing word / excel / PDF, etc. I had the same idea, and have a 14" LCD on the corner of my work bench with a Raspberry Pi on the back, I just never got around to installing a desktop environment so I could use a nice GUI! Big Grin
Hi, 
I am just a newbie!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting started in nRF52 in pinetime64 Quim 0 2,120 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Quim
  PineA64 Getting Started Guide khgoh 12 25,380 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Doryan
  Getting started using OSX cranchh 17 31,688 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Last Post: killorfb