Working desktop on Debian ?
Can anyone prove or have seen evidence of;
1. well-functioning desktop can actually be installed and run on Debian?
2. that Firefox works 100% correctly on Rock64, without crashes?
3. that Firejail can run on Rock64?
(08-27-2018, 11:51 PM)Chris66 Wrote: Can anyone prove or have seen evidence of;

1- you can see the evidence yourself, here you can download a prebuilt image with debian and a desktop and working fairly well imo
2- No idea how stable but apparently you can either install it from repos or build it yourself (can i suggest chrome? its lighter and i used it on rock64 and works failry well)
3- Never used it but apparently you can also install it from repos or probably build it yourself
(08-28-2018, 10:10 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

1- you can see the evidence yourself, here you can download a prebuilt image with debian and a desktop and working fairly well imo
2- No idea how stable but apparently you can either install it from repos or build it yourself (can i suggest chrome? its lighter and i used it on rock64 and works failry well)
3- Never used it but apparently you can also install it from repos or probably build it yourself

Hi, and thanks for your response.

I've tried:
Armbian 5.42 that is working, but is unfortunately too slow.
Armbian 5.46 cannot run.
Armbian 5.59 that works and is slightly faster than 5.42 but not so fast as Ubuntu Bionic from Ayufan.

Firefox is running but breaks down rather quickly in both Armbian, as in all Ayufan's releases.

I don't trust something Google is involved in, that's why Crome and Chromium no interest.

Firejail works at 5.42 but not 5.59, and 5.42 is the only operating system to Rock64 as I could get it to run on. I have otherwise tried all Ayufan's stable releases of Debian and Ubuntu, as well as all of the releases from ca. 1 January 2018 and forward to day date.
It's actually quite strange that important programs like Firefox and Firejail not working on Rock64 when the nonessential programs like Chrome and Chromium works.

Moreover, NO Debian with some desktop work from Ayufan's releases.

Chris66
(08-28-2018, 03:04 PM)Chris66 Wrote:

I've tried:
Armbian 5.46 cannot run.
Armbian 5.59 that works and is slightly faster than 5.42 but not so fast as Ubuntu Bionic from Ayufan.

Firefox is running but breaks down rather quickly in both Armbian, as in all Ayufan's releases.

I don't trust something Google is involved in, that's why Crome and Chromium no interest.

Firejail works at 5.42 but not 5.59, and 5.42 is the only operating system to Rock64 as I could get it to run on. I have otherwise tried all Ayufan's stable releases of Debian and Ubuntu, as well as all of the releases from ca. 1 January 2018 and forward to day date.
It's actually quite strange that important programs like Firefox and Firejail not working on Rock64 when the nonessential programs like Chrome and Chromium works.

Chris66

Well, while most rock64 OS options are "working" atm you are a bit selective about how it should work, , linux is heavily customizable but to reach the deepest customization options you need to compile yourself with your prefered options...even better, doing that you can maybe put up a guide and explain why you prefer it that way and help everyone else...
And btw, if you dont add your google account to the browser i dont see how it can track or be any problem to use anything google based, i mean, im slightly paranoid myself, (no social medias for me, no thank you) but one need to draw a line about how paranoid one must be, otherwise we end living in a cave never even seen other people to the face...its a personal opinion OFC...
Back on topic i usually try to be helpfull with what i have, you can go back to the linked thread about compiling firefox, that guy had good success apparetly, OR, you can also try other alternatives, as example:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/raspberry-pi-browsers/
i tested myself vivaldi on one of my PIs for a few weeks, it was stable if a bit slow, needed some polishing to handle embeded videos but was working fine as a browser...
apparently you can download an arm64 unsupported deb to test from 
https://vivaldi.com/en/blog/snapshots/re...ols-fixes/
(08-28-2018, 03:39 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 03:04 PM)Chris66 Wrote:

I've tried:
Armbian 5.46 cannot run.

Chris66

Well, while most rock64 OS options are "working" atm you are a bit selective about how it should work, , linux is heavily customizable but to reach the deepest customization options you need to compile yourself with your prefered options...even better, doing that you can maybe put up a guide and explain why you prefer it that way and help everyone else...
And btw, if you dont add your google account to the browser i dont see how it can track or be any problem to use anything google based, i mean, im slightly paranoid myself, (no social medias for me, no thank you) but one need to draw a line about how paranoid one must be, otherwise we end living in a cave never even seen other people to the face...its a personal opinion OFC...
Back on topic i usually try to be helpfull with what i have, you can go back to the linked thread about compiling firefox, that guy had good success apparetly, OR, you can also try other alternatives, as example:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/raspberry-pi-browsers/
i tested myself vivaldi on one of my PIs for a few weeks, it was stable if a bit slow, needed some polishing to handle embeded videos but was working fine as a browser...
apparently you can download an arm64 unsupported deb to test from 
https://vivaldi.com/en/blog/snapshots/re...ols-fixes/

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look at them this coming weekend.
i guess vivaldi is taken mostly from opera browser? or maybe renamed from opera. not sure , have not followed that browser in years. thing i remember is it was quite fast but would often choke for seemingly no reason. also, they were very slow in developing a simple bookmark system, which is why i stopped using it. one very important thing for me is being able to synchronize bookmarks across just about any device and chrome shines at that. i spend 80%+ of my time on boxes that have very capable hardware and so chrome is fine for me, the only times it is a problem are on cellphones and sbc devices which is a small price to pay. chrome [and firefox to a lesser extent] is so much more than a browser, it is an excellent development platform.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 55 Yesterday, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,356 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
Tongue RockPro64 Ethernet NOP After Debian 11 Install... MattDralle 1 2,066 10-30-2021, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic LXDE Desktop karbon17 1 2,769 05-12-2020, 01:18 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Rock64-4gb,Armbian Debian Stretch: Plex, Radarr, NZBGet and Sickchill WOW Baracuda2 1 2,991 02-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Smooth playback of 4K videos working under Ubuntu / mpv danboid 2 4,274 11-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Last Post: arxaios
  How to get UHD 4k working (with Android TV 7) Hotkey 7 8,298 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Trash_Can_Man
  Newbie, No GUI interface for Debian Stretch Min 64 (bld 0.7.9) Pajaro 1 2,884 09-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Incorrect datetime (Debian, OMV) erickpeniche 9 13,117 06-27-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  Debian to eMMC? Hoerli 7 8,282 05-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: pfeerick