NextcloudPi on a Rock64
(09-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I recently set up Nextcloud on one of my 4GB Rock64 boards and its performing extremely well. I tried the NextcloudPi image and I was not quite happy with the performance. It could be because the image is based on an older build from ayufan (0.6.4 IIRC) or because of a combination of other things - I do not know, not an expert.
In any case, I flashed uboot to SPI and Armbian (because of a slightly higher default SOC and RAM freq) to my HDD.
Then I basically followed this tutorial and adjusted where necessary. The one thing the tutorial is missing is enabling cache - which I highly recommend you do once the installation is done. The entire setup took me 30 min flat, including port-forwarding, installing the apps I wanted, etc.,

Its now been running for 3 weeks with occasional heavy load and I've not had any issues with it. I also had no issues with installing the app to mount my NAS as a folder, using Nextcloud Talk (is that what its called ?) with family and fetching/ uploading things from my phone as well as sharing them online.

I think the NextcloudPi project is amazing, but I suggest you give this a try until the performance and other issues get sorted.

Thank you very much for your kind help.
In the past, I have already installed Nextcloud on an mini computer. However, as I am not so expert, I have made a few mistakes during the setup, and this is why I prefer and trust more the NextcloudPi image than myself ^^ (just download > Flash > answer the wizard > Done, wonderful !).
So I will wait (I hope not wait so long) until NachoParker come back, it seems he is not available since a few days, I have to be patient.
(09-06-2018, 04:01 AM)prog-amateur Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I recently set up Nextcloud on one of my 4GB Rock64 boards and its performing extremely well. I tried the NextcloudPi image and I was not quite happy with the performance. It could be because the image is based on an older build from ayufan (0.6.4 IIRC) or because of a combination of other things - I do not know, not an expert.
In any case, I flashed uboot to SPI and Armbian (because of a slightly higher default SOC and RAM freq) to my HDD.
Then I basically followed this tutorial and adjusted where necessary. The one thing the tutorial is missing is enabling cache - which I highly recommend you do once the installation is done. The entire setup took me 30 min flat, including port-forwarding, installing the apps I wanted, etc.,

Its now been running for 3 weeks with occasional heavy load and I've not had any issues with it. I also had no issues with installing the app to mount my NAS as a folder, using Nextcloud Talk (is that what its called ?) with family and fetching/ uploading things from my phone as well as sharing them online.

I think the NextcloudPi project is amazing, but I suggest you give this a try until the performance and other issues get sorted.

Thank you very much for your kind help.
In the past, I have already installed Nextcloud on an mini computer. However, as I am not so expert, I have made a few mistakes during the setup, and this is why I prefer and trust more the NextcloudPi image than myself ^^ (just download > Flash > answer the wizard > Done, wonderful !).
So I will wait (I hope not wait so long) until NachoParker come back, it seems he is not available since a few days, I have to be patient.

If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...
(09-06-2018, 02:15 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...

Thank you very much. I will check, the only issue here is my knowledge, I have never tried docker, so I will read how it works and how to install it !
(09-07-2018, 08:03 AM)prog-amateur Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 02:15 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...

Thank you very much. I will check, the only issue here is my knowledge, I have never tried docker, so I will read how it works and how to install it !

Its easy, on most distros its just "sudo apt-get install docker" then use the command on the docker image webpage:
Code:
docker create \
   --name nextcloud \
   -p 443:443 \
   -e PUID=<UID> -e PGID=<GID> \
   -v </path/to/appdata>:/config \
   -v <path/to/data>:/data \
   lsioarmhf/nextcloud-aarch64

replace paths and PGID/PUID with your values, one important tip about the path, in that example "/path/to/appdata" refers to a path OUTSIDE the container and "/config" refers to a path INSIDE the container, containers are isolated from the underlying OS and this path creation is a way to cross easily that barrier...PGID and PUID refer to the user you want to use to run the WHOLE container, its a user OUTSIDE the container ofc and preferably it shouldnt be root and should have write permission to the set paths OUTSIDE...

finally you do:
Code:
docker start nextcloud

and your container is runing (give it time to start ofc, this one seems lightweight so i guess one minute should be more than enough), after this most containers have some form of admin webpage, never used nextcloud but a fair guess is that such admin page should be on http://ip-of-your-board:443 in this case since its opening that exact port

and btw its not detailed on the container webpage but i suggest to add "--restart=unless-stopped" to the creation command so if the docker is stopped for any reason it should restart (unless you stop it manually)

another suggestion, run this:
Code:
docker run -d -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --net=host --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /data:/data portainer/portainer
keep the docker.sock virtual path intact and change the data one, this install a docker container with portainer, a very good admin app for remote control of your dockers, start, stop, live log, changing settings, etc etc...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 109 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,423 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,828 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 248 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,757 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,789 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,380 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,957 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 700 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 902 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267