The Dreaded Red Led of Nothingess
(08-24-2016, 02:19 AM)nickarls Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check if I find anything local otherwise the shipping fee will probably be more than my board ;-)

It would be nice if there would have been three LEDs on the board, they could have given 8 states of power-on. Even POST beeps from the speaker would have been an improvement...

(08-24-2016, 02:19 AM)Boring Wrote: Red led sounds great. It is the only led colour I know on the pine.

The pine is sometimes a bit picky on HDMI cable and monitor/screen. What did you try in this area?

Tried it with on my computer monitor and on my TV (another cable), same result on both.

An adapter like this one will do just as well... you just need three leads to connect the pins to the pine64. If you don't already have some, a kit like this will do you well as it has all three of the combinations you might need if you intend to experiment with other electronics stuff. Otherwise, just get the cheapest set of female to female dupont leads you can get your hands on Wink

And since ARM processors don't have a BIOS to handle the POST (Power On Self Test) that we are so familiar with on computers, doing any sort of beep on startup, or multi-led diagnostic adds a lot of complexity to the start up process that just isn't warranted. Pretty much every ARM board will give you access in some shape or fashion to the Serial console, so it is considered the best compromise. That plus unless it is a catastrophic failure and nothing works, the serial console/terminal can usually provide much better diagnostics than a blinky led. 

@Boring: What... do you mean the yellow and green leds on the ethernet port don't count?  Tongue Tongue

Messages In This Thread
The Dreaded Red Led of Nothingess - by nickarls - 08-24-2016, 12:42 AM
RE: The Dreaded Red Led of Nothingess - by Boring - 08-24-2016, 02:19 AM
RE: The Dreaded Red Led of Nothingess - by pfeerick - 08-24-2016, 03:19 AM