Build an Arcade Cabinet with Pine64?
I want to know if it is possible to build an Arcade Cabinet with the Pine64? I would like to build one with at least two players and run an emulator with a bunch of games on it and still have the ability to put coins in to get a game started. I am no programmer but I can definitely build stuff. I already made my own arcade stick for my ps4. Now I just want to go bigger. Thanks Smile
(01-25-2016, 12:17 PM)Bleachkon Wrote: I want to know if it is possible to build an Arcade Cabinet with the Pine64? I would like to build one with at least two players and run an emulator with a bunch of games on it and still have the ability to put coins in to get a game started. I am no programmer but I can definitely build stuff. I already made my own arcade stick for my ps4. Now I just want to go bigger. Thanks Smile

First off, you will need to get a version of MAME either for Android or Linux (with Linux still very much in the process of development, you would probably be better off with Android, at least initially).

As for adding in a working coin mechanism, no doubt it is theoretically possible. I have built a few JAMMA cabs but never a MAME cab, so not sure of the specifics. 

The Pine A64 has two IO interfaces, Pi-2 and the Euler Bus, and so there is lots of potential for making external connections. But getting MAME to recognise your coin input from connections made at one of those interfaces would be the tricky part.
(01-25-2016, 12:43 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 12:17 PM)Bleachkon Wrote: I want to know if it is possible to build an Arcade Cabinet with the Pine64? I would like to build one with at least two players and run an emulator with a bunch of games on it and still have the ability to put coins in to get a game started. I am no programmer but I can definitely build stuff. I already made my own arcade stick for my ps4. Now I just want to go bigger. Thanks Smile

First off, you will need to get a version of MAME either for Android or Linux (with Linux still very much in the process of development, you would probably be better off with Android, at least initially).

As for adding in a working coin mechanism, no doubt it is theoretically possible. I have built a few JAMMA cabs but never a MAME cab, so not sure of the specifics. 

The Pine A64 has two IO interfaces, Pi-2 and the Euler Bus, and so there is lots of potential for making external connections. But getting MAME to recognise your coin input from connections made at one of those interfaces would be the tricky part.

Thank you for explaining a little on how it works. I will research more on a MAME for Android for now. I'm glad it might be possible to a make one Smile
This question makes me wonder how difficult it would be to get the pine 64 working with the old Kickstarter porta pi bartop arcade and how many modifications would be needed.

http://www.retrobuiltgames.com/the-build...rcade-kit/
(01-25-2016, 01:24 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: This question makes me wonder how difficult it would be to get the pine 64 working with the old Kickstarter porta pi bartop arcade and how many modifications would be needed.

Interesting, it seems like it would work pretty well with the pine64. It just seems the emulators need to be more compatible with Pine. I'll research that
(01-25-2016, 01:24 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: This question makes me wonder how difficult it would be to get the pine 64 working with the old Kickstarter porta pi bartop arcade and how many modifications would be needed.

Those are some lovely wooden arcade mini cabs!

I shouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to build something similar using a Pine instead.

Software is the main issue, I think. But Android has a fairly good, solid build of MAME...
I hope we might be able to use this pine64 for hyperspin possibly
(02-04-2016, 07:56 PM)217zombie101 Wrote: I hope we might be able to use this pine64 for hyperspin possibly

I have been using Hyperspin Android and its been fairly good (not on my pine 64 though, currently on a shield tv). I would imagine the android build is the same for pine 64 though and should work.
I know its a bit of an older thread but I have been playing around with Mame on the pine. I have the 2gb model and have been able to compile the latest version on ubuntu Linux. The problem though is the lack of display drivers. Everything seems to compile fine. When I'm next infront of my computer I'll post some links.

I am an amusement tech and I have also built a large number of Mame and multi game packs.

Most Mame systems have a key combo to add credits to the games. An example of this is p1 start and p1 button 1 to add credits to the game. This is usually done using hardware like a j-pac and Mame config files can support these combos directly without the need for the hardware. Also using Mame with a coin mech may go against some laws and stuff from the open and closed sourced parts of Mame. Best to set up only for use at home and no abilities for the system to be used for a profit.

As for getting the gpio ports to work in Mame. You can use a python script to convert the gpio ports to key mappings or joystick mappings. Problem with this is going to be latency as well as it will use up system resources that you want to keep for running Mame. Your better off using a j-pac or jvs converter if your modding an original system. Otherwise a basic keyboard or joystick encoder will work. I have seen a few cheap ones out there advitised for the rasbpi using retro pi. Nothing saying you cant mod one of these up to go to a jamma biscuit.
(07-26-2016, 05:34 AM)Ghelorn Wrote: I know its a bit of an older thread but I have been playing around with Mame on the pine. I have the 2gb model and have been able to compile the latest version on ubuntu Linux. The problem though is the lack of display drivers. Everything seems to compile fine. When I'm next infront of my computer I'll post some links.

I am an amusement tech and I have also built a large number of Mame and multi game packs.

Most Mame systems have a key combo to add credits to the games. An example of this is p1 start and p1 button 1 to add credits to the game. This is usually done using hardware like a j-pac and Mame config files can support these combos directly without the need for the hardware. Also using Mame with a coin mech may go against some laws and stuff from the open and closed sourced parts of Mame. Best to set up only for use at home and no abilities for the system to be used for a profit.

As for getting the gpio ports to work in Mame. You can use a python script to convert the gpio ports to key mappings or joystick mappings. Problem with this is going to be latency as well as it will use up system resources that you want to keep for running Mame. Your better off using a j-pac or jvs converter if your modding an original system. Otherwise a basic keyboard or joystick encoder will work. I have seen a few cheap ones out there advitised for the rasbpi using retro pi. Nothing saying you cant mod one of these up to go to a jamma biscuit.

Thanks for replying! I will be looking forward to the links Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arcade Cabinet SirLenuxx 2 5,131 11-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Last Post: SirLenuxx
  Pine64 with Keyrah? Middleman 3 5,788 08-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Middleman
  Arcade Cabinet nicolo.tuppo 7 9,451 07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Last Post: janeku