Fractal/Matrix MMS workaround
(09-28-2023, 06:36 PM)Noob Of All Trades Wrote: I would much prefer Chatty. There's no need to run all my SMS/MMS through another server.

So steps are quite simple:
Make sure that you have removed all stuck messages from your modem
Maybe it might be wise to flash fresh image (just to be sure that there is nothing left on that mms-matrix thing Wink )

Then find out what APN your carrier is using for MMS
Insert (or activate) that APN from System settings
Insert those same APN details to Chatty (and add also the extra details which Chatty is asking but System settings is not)
Then just try - it should work now.
If your Carrier is using different APN for MMS and Data I have workaround for that also but if they are using same APN for both this is only thing what you should need to do.

(And regarding to mentioned Biktorgj modem firmware - I 100% recommend it but it does not remove not working MMS problems. It can remove stuck SMS messages but if they are MMS you can't see who send them and what was inside the message so instead you most likely want working MMS)
(09-28-2023, 07:17 AM)mikehenson Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 05:24 AM)Noob Of All Trades Wrote: I deleted Chatty. No luck. I still can't login to Fractal. Just for clarity: the Fractal login is the same as the Matrix login, right? And the "identity Server" is Fractal's "service provider"?

Just to provide more data on my situation.

My phone will get clogged with messages that don’t show up on Chatty. Then it stops receiving SMS.

I run these commands in Terminal ( called Console on my phone):
$ mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms

the phone responds with something like this:

Found 10 SMS messages:
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/0 (received)

But it will say that 10 times for 10 messages with the last digit counting up.

Then I run:

$ mmcli -m any --messaging-delete-sms=0

and repeat that, changing the last digit to match all the messages the phone listed. After that all my SMS that hadn’t come through before show up on Chatty-- even showing the correct time when the SMS was sent. I think I even raised my reception from 2G to 4G. I presume those stuck messages are the MMS. And that makes me think the phone is receiving them, but Chatty can’t process them. Obviously I could be wrong. I got the Terminal commands from this article ( https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_F...eceive_SMS)

What firmware do you have on the modem? I ask because once I loaded Biktorgj firmware, I stopped getting stuck messages. 

There is the Biktorgj firmware AND the ADSP firmware. You need both. You also need to use the correct ADSP firmware for T-Mobile (ADSP Version 01.003.01.003)

Videos for reference:
PinePhone OR PinePhone Pro (4of5) - Phosh - Setup - Biktorgj - osmin - brave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFtFzPh...99&index=7
00:00 Intro
00:10 Log into phone
00:28 install gnome-firmware
01:00 run gnome-firmware
01:00 run gnome-firmware
03:20 Fail, Run again
04:20 Downgrade again
05:55 Biktorgj is loaded
06:30 verify the ADSP version

Loading the ASDP firmware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCpmkE5...99&index=2

Device: PinePhone 32Gig (Used for building packages)
Device: PinePhonePro (Daily driver)
Carrier: USA - Patriot Mobile (T-Mobile SIM)

Thanks so much for your help! I've run across your videos before. They are a great resource. 

I followed your advice. I found a firmware button on the "add/remove software" app store. Once I did that suddenly the MMSC Carrier Settings (Chatty>Preferences>SMS and MMS settings> MMSC Carrier Settings) were available. Before that section had been dark. I could see it but it wouldn't let me enter any info. I entered the Metro PCS info, but that didn't solve it. So I loaded the ADSP firm ware through terminal as you showed. It still didn't work. So I re-flashed Manjaro Phosh beta 34, and then it worked through Chatty. I've sent picture messages and created a group message. I just want to receive an MMS, and then I'll mark it as solved.

Only one question. The Firmware button says I'm running Version 0.7.2 but under Settings> Mobile Network> Modem details it says Firmware version EG25GGBR07A08M2G. Should I worry about the discrepancy? Or is that just showing the out of the box version for reference?

(09-29-2023, 12:33 PM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 06:36 PM)Noob Of All Trades Wrote: I would much prefer Chatty. There's no need to run all my SMS/MMS through another server.

So steps are quite simple:
Make sure that you have removed all stuck messages from your modem
Maybe it might be wise to flash fresh image (just to be sure that there is nothing left on that mms-matrix thing Wink )

Then find out what APN your carrier is using for MMS
Insert (or activate) that APN from System settings
Insert those same APN details to Chatty (and add also the extra details which Chatty is asking but System settings is not)
Then just try - it should work now.
If your Carrier is using different APN for MMS and Data I have workaround for that also but if they are using same APN for both this is only thing what you should need to do.

(And regarding to mentioned Biktorgj modem firmware - I 100% recommend it but it does not remove not working MMS problems. It can remove stuck SMS messages but if they are MMS you can't see who send them and what was inside the message so instead you most likely want working MMS)

Thanks for your help! I wasn't able to enter the MMSC Carrier Settings (Chatty>Preferences>SMS and MMS settings> MMSC Carrier Settings) until I downloaded the firmware button from the "add/remove software store."  I updated the ADSP firmware too, but entering the correct information didn't help until I re-flashed the phone. I want to run 1 more test and then I will mark this issue as solved.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMS workaround for users with separate APN (works atleast on Manjaro Phosh) alaraajavamma 0 1,073 10-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  What is Fractal btw? Cree 2 3,518 10-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: MonCon