Is the pine phone usable as a daily driver now?
(09-10-2023, 11:25 PM)apink Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 08:31 PM)DaForest Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 07:33 PM)apink Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 05:48 PM)DaForest Wrote: I use my PPP as a PDA device and it's perfect for that. It runs cool and at maximum room temp when on wifi.
I also use an iclever folding BT keyboard mouse pad and again perfect. I suspect the device will last for many years with this type of usage.

What kind of battery life do you get with the modem off?

I just tested again today and I got 9 hours of average usage including wifi with 86% battery left. I'm guessing that 12 hours out of a charge should be no problem for PPP.
I'm using Arch Linux Phosh

Thanks.  Looks like the modem is a major consumer of energy on the ppp.
The modem is also a major source of heat and with modem disabled the PPP runs very cool. I think this will increase life of the device significantly. At present I am using the PPP as a major portable computer pocket device and it fits this role perfect.
(09-11-2023, 09:00 AM)DaForest Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 07:33 PM)apink Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 05:48 PM)DaForest Wrote: I use my PPP as a PDA device and it's perfect for that. It runs cool and at maximum room temp when on wifi.
I also use an iclever folding BT keyboard mouse pad and again perfect. I suspect the device will last for many years with this type of usage.

What kind of battery life do you get with the modem off?

I just tested again today and I got 9 hours of average usage including wifi with 86% battery left. I'm guessing that 12 hours out of a charge should be no problem for PPP.

The modem is also a major source of heat and with modem disabled the PPP runs very cool. I think this will increase life of the device significantly. At present I am using the PPP as a major portable computer pocket device and it fits this role perfect.

This makes a lot of sense.  Most of what I want out of the ppp is in terms of PDA functionality.  It would be nice to have the modem in the box but maybe it is time to send that function off to a device that is better suited (perhaps a PP).
(09-11-2023, 10:16 AM)apink Wrote:
(09-11-2023, 09:00 AM)DaForest Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 07:33 PM)apink Wrote: What kind of battery life do you get with the modem off?

This makes a lot of sense.  Most of what I want out of the ppp is in terms of PDA functionality.  It would be nice to have the modem in the box but maybe it is time to send that function off to a device that is better suited (perhaps a PP).

What I have noted is that Arch Linux Plasma works with HDMI even better than Phosh however there is no onscreen keyboard with Plasma and Libreoffice. Arch Phosh works perfectly with a Logitech MK850 keyboard mouse combo on the dock. I also have an iclever bluetooth folding keyboard mouse touch pad as well. For a browser I use Falkon which seems to be the quickest for a PDA? Comms I still use my Blackberry Classic. Yes it would be nice to have at least the chat working on PPP but that darn modem !! Just too hot and it may eventually fry the emmc or board.
I'm using my PPhone as my daily driver now that I've worked out the updates and that it will work even when it has gone onto standby, hence the battery lasts all day. Received volume is a bit quiet but Arch Linux phosh seems to be reliable and has many good features. Firefox works well, even on the SIM card.

I have bought a 15" monitor with the hope of using my PPhone with a large screen. It connects OK both direct through a USB C to C cable and via HDMI through a cheap amazon dongle. However, I cannot replicate the PPhone screen on the monitor, as shown below.

DaForest wrote: "What I have noted is that Arch Linux Plasma works with HDMI even better than Phosh"

Maybe I should try Arch Linux Plasma as DaForest suggests but am a bit reluctant to take the plunge from what is a working phone.

[Image: 23s-pphone-display3.jpg]
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
(09-12-2023, 04:00 AM)gregb49 Wrote: I'm using my PPhone as my daily driver now that I've worked out the updates and that it will work even when it has gone onto standby, hence the battery lasts all day. Received volume is a bit quiet but Arch Linux phosh seems to be reliable and has many good features. Firefox works well, even on the SIM card.

Firefox works well on the PP? That's interesting... It must have been optimised extremely well, because the last time I tried it (albeit it was quite a while ago), it was pretty much unusable (way too slow). Maybe is the magic of Arch BTW?
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
(09-25-2023, 06:33 PM)deedend Wrote: Firefox works well on the PP? That's interesting... It must have been optimised extremely well, because the last time I tried it (albeit it was quite a while ago), it was pretty much unusable (way too slow). Maybe is the magic of Arch BTW?

That's from memory as I'm no longer using it as my daily driver because I missed some calls and texts. I've installed fedora now and am trying that. It uses a different browser, just called Web, which seems fine so far.

What OS have you found that works best, with the Pine Phone?

I have the following requirements:
NECESSARY
Calls and Texts plus WiFi.

IMPORTANT (FOR ME)
Nextcloud
Podcast software
Plays MP3
Good browser

NICE TO HAVE
Works with an external monitor

Amongst others, I have tried the following OSs, over the last 12 months

Manjaro
Didn't get on with this. It was early on in my learning curve.

UBTouch Ubuntu 16.04
I bought a PinePhone because I was used to UBTouch on a Nexus5 where it worked very well and I thought my Nexus5 was failing. UBTouch has many problems on the PPhone - essentially unusable.

Mobian
Probably the best of the OSs that I've tried so far but Nexcloud synchronisation was hit and miss plus I couldn't get podcast nor MP3 playing software to work.

Fedora Linux 38
Didn't get on with this - lost some calls and texts.

Postmarket OS Phosh
Just started using this (again). Looks good, so far. It feels like a complete Linux computer in a tiny shell.

(10-26-2023, 11:35 AM)gregb49 Wrote: gregb49,   you have posted your info on pinephone pro (PPP) forum.  Your info refereto PP.  Is yout info PPP related?

tom kosvic

What OS have you found that works best, with the Pine Phone?

I have the following requirements:
NECESSARY
Calls and Texts plus WiFi.

IMPORTANT (FOR ME)
Nextcloud
Podcast software
Plays MP3
Good browser

NICE TO HAVE
Works with an external monitor

Amongst others, I have tried the following OSs, over the last 12 months

Manjaro
Didn't get on with this. It was early on in my learning curve.

UBTouch Ubuntu 16.04
I bought a PinePhone because I was used to UBTouch on a Nexus5 where it worked very well and I thought my Nexus5 was failing. UBTouch has many problems on the PPhone - essentially unusable.

Mobian
Probably the best of the OSs that I've tried so far but Nexcloud synchronisation was hit and miss plus I couldn't get podcast nor MP3 playing software to work.

Fedora Linux 38
Didn't get on with this - lost some calls and texts.

Postmarket OS Phosh
Just started using this (again). Looks good, so far. It feels like a complete Linux computer in a tiny shell.
(10-26-2023, 01:27 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 11:35 AM)gregb49 Wrote: gregb49,   you have posted your info on pinephone pro (PPP) forum.  Your info refereto PP.  Is yout info PPP related?

tom kosvic

Apologies. I'll move it. I just read the title not the forum header.
Edit: "What OS etc.." moved here, to a PPhone thread

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,290 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PPP used with smart phone gaming fan. DaForest 3 870 11-19-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PPP as daily device. DaForest 5 1,190 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,571 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  PPP as daily device Chief 5 3,423 04-23-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: dcc
  pine phone pro won't start robb777 2 1,404 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: emsyr
  Current State of PIne Phone Pro kmsgli 40 25,995 12-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Simon Belmont
  Was the Pine Phone Pro you got from DHL new? theForce 3 2,053 10-31-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Internet is not working on Pine Pro phone caroljames972022 0 883 09-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: caroljames972022
  Loud echo on receiving phone when called TheRealThor 3 2,143 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: tckosvic