Upgrading/Updating using Pacman
I've mostly used some flavor of Ubuntu since April 2007, so Arch may be a steep learning curve for me. Amazon just sent me an ethernet cable and an ether2usb-c adapter, plus I have my Tab2 nearly fully charged. Now I need to do an update, but not sure how to proceed. Ican't find an application named Pacman listed in programs - can anyone help me out?
you run pacman from the terminal. to update you can run:
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy

to look for system updates too, you can run:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
(06-22-2023, 11:20 AM)tophneal thx for the reply - im still little confused - so am i to understand that -Syu only "looks" for updates, and that i have to run -Sy to actually install? (I've run -Syu once a day or so, and it didn't take too long; i rember reading somewhere that "first updates" may take more time. Wrote: you run pacman from the terminal. to update you can run:
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy

to look for system updates too, you can run:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
After running -Sy I did get msg that community is up to date - so I guess that answers that. My next big hurdle is finding adjustments to display - I can't find any controls to increase/decrease brightness and after that I'll be looking to increase font sizes I'm sure but for now I can't look at the screen too long - i'm 65 and it just strains my eyes too much!
now there is some wrong information.

Code:
# updates package lists, does not update anything
$ sudo pacman -Sy
# like previous but deeper, it's needed if local cache is messed up somehow
$ sudo pacman -Syy
# updates the system, however updating package lists are needed
$ sudo pacman -Su
# updates package lists and updates the system
$ sudo pacman -Syu

pacman does not update other package systems, like flatpak, snap and others.

"pamac" can access AUR if that has been used.
(06-21-2023, 10:04 PM)Ptab2newb Wrote: I've mostly used some flavor of Ubuntu since April 2007, so Arch may be a steep learning curve for me. Amazon just sent me an ethernet cable and an ether2usb-c adapter, plus I have my Tab2 nearly fully charged. Now I need to do an update, but not sure how to proceed. Ican't find an application named Pacman listed in programs - can anyone help me out?

The system installed in the pinetab2 comes with a gui called discover.
I don't like it much personally, but it can be helpful if it's your first time.
You can install updates with it, it will warn you when you open it (i think at the bottom).

On the other side here's pacman wiki page from arch you will find the options for it explained:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman
(06-24-2023, 05:08 PM)zetabeta Wrote: now there is some wrong information.

Thx for this zerabeta - i'll run these accordingly!

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Sy
$ sudo pacman -Syy
$ sudo pacman -Su
$ sudo pacman -Syu

Still hoping for some guidance on display control, including screen brightness and font sizes!
(06-25-2023, 11:34 AM)Ptab2newb Wrote:
(06-24-2023, 05:08 PM)zetabeta Wrote: now there is some wrong information.

Thx for this zerabeta - i'll run these accordingly!

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Sy
$ sudo pacman -Syy
$ sudo pacman -Su
$ sudo pacman -Syu

Still hoping for some guidance on display control, including screen brightness and font sizes!

i have used manjaro on various hardware platforms and arch linux on pinephone, so i know stuff. but i don't know all specifities about pinetab2.

what user interface you have there, is it xfce, lxqt, phosh, etc. usually user interface has some options.

in a pinephone command something like "sudo echo {bignumber} >/sys/device/something/brightness", sets the brightness. however, i don't specific address for pinetab2 and numbers for it.
in the system tray there are icons for battery/brightness and updates, i can see many updates available, i havenot updated yet.
Aside from the tray menu where you have a display control to adjust brightness, you can also do that from the system settings (open the app from the kde menu).
System settings in section energy saver allows you to change brightness.
Font size can be adjusted in System settings/appearance/fonts

You can easily find setting in the system settings tool using the search bar on the top left (just type fonts and it will show you the relevant entries).