next pinephone model, maybe "pinephone handheld".
Wow guys,

Yes @zetabeta great topic.

@diederik Re the heat on the Rock64. It is a "big" issue for us up here in the tropics of Australia and I see it as a potential show stopper! Heat is the "Terminator" of devices in this environment and certainly my greatest concern as a new PPP owner. I just can't see this device "surviving" for any satisfactory duration due to the heat issue. This is based on extensive prior consumer electronic device usage and experience in this environment. (Happy to be proven wrong)

@alaraajavamma Software accessibility, usability and stability is "critical" however I do have the utmost confidence in the Linux community to address "software" issues as time progresses. The key factor there of course being "time" and being able to resolve major issues in a satisfactory and timely manner. I am already very impressed with the work so far (currently based primarily on my humble and "short" Mobian Posh and "legacy" Sailfish OS experiences). As one of the many Community Development Case in point examples. Take the wonderful journey of the "Debian" and Ubuntu projects and the progress, continually improved capability and success of such projects. Over the years this shines as a great beacon of what can be achieved by such software and hardware integration endeavors.

@Kevin Kofler you are certainly correct in the desire for better software support. The challenge in Open Source phones has always been the mobile support and the binary blobs for the hardware as we are all very well aware. The point of the benefits we get from groups such as Purism investing so heavily is very pertinent and essential in the immediate future.

I remain optimistic that the Pine64 philosophy of "sustainable" hardware deployment and overwhelming continued "Community" support can be maintained. And frankly it's what impresses me and is what separates Pine64 from other hardware groups and projects.

If Pine64 can continue to "pay" the bills and keep production going I really can't see any other realistic and affordable option for Open Sourced Mobile Telephony in the immediate future. Particularly based on prior history and efforts of initial overly optimistic and ultimately commercially unsuccessful projects such as Open Moko. Even the then Mobile giant Nokia burnt out brightly with N800 / N850 / N900's followed of course by N9's (internal company politics and devastating business decisions not withstanding). Jolla and Sailfish taking up the torch afterwords with "mixed" commercial success.

Agreed @WhiteHexagon The key as I see it is economical and ubiquitous Open access to the "hardware". Ergo the Raspberry Pi experience and it's IMHO subsequent catastrophic lack of consumer supply issues. Get the highly capable, economical and accessible hardware into the hands of Developers and the Community. Many people Many times ! Be both surprised and impressed with the consequent results and outcomes. The "true" indomitable strength of Open Source and it's associated Freedoms.

Bottom line. For me it's been a long road to getting the "freedom" of a daily driver open sourced Mobile into my hands. Something that I can "practically" use every day for all my Mobile related activities. For the first time in my journey I feel I am actually getting ever so close to that when I hold my new Pine Phone Pro in my hand.

Of course early adoption is not with out it's downsides and there is still much work to getting us to a "practical" and commercial consumer grade / standard. But on the Open Source Path I see us "geeks" getting that path "paved" first as the necessary prior step.

As optimistic as I am I acknowledge I've "got it wrong" before Wink

Notwithstanding however, bring on the next improved and greatly more capable generation of economically accessible Open Sourced Mobile devices already !!!!!

The future is bright and so is my Pine Phone Pro screen.

NB: Loving Tow-Boot I don't underrate it's genius

Messages In This Thread
RE: next pinephone model, maybe "pinephone handheld". - by crocspot - 06-03-2023, 08:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone pro replacement lcd screen Linuxuser3 0 40 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Linuxuser3
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 217 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 526 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 409 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 719 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 751 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,305 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,388 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 875 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,491 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta