Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card
nah, nothings working. I finally put the card in my other linux device and ran both the commands here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I..._from_eMMC before flashing the Jump drive image.
Still, It totally ignores the card.

I guess my last option here is to buy a new MicroSD card. Since two, somehow, have already been ruined it seems like I'm wasting money on what was supposed to be an inexpensive device. ... but I don't know what good that would be because my other devices recognize the card. THe only reason I think it has something to do with the card is because when I look at the data sectors in BOOTICE a strange comment shows up in the ASCII field "...$..Invalid partition table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system...c{....." When I flash JumpDrive to the card that comment is gone and the card looks ok, but very small. When I reformat it to remove bootice (or any other image) that comment is back, and I can only get the card to show 29.5GB from it's 32GB capacity. There's something stuck in the front that I can't remove.
(12-10-2022, 08:57 AM)_radv_ Wrote: nah, nothings working.  I finally put the card in my other linux device and ran both the commands here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I..._from_eMMC before flashing the Jump drive image. 
Still, It totally ignores the card.

I guess my last option here is to buy a new MicroSD card.  Since two, somehow, have already been ruined it seems like I'm wasting money on what was supposed to be an inexpensive device. ... but I don't know what good that would be because my other devices recognize the card.  THe only reason I think it has something to do with the card is because when I look at the data sectors in BOOTICE a strange comment shows up in the ASCII field "...$..Invalid partition table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system...c{....."  When I flash JumpDrive to the card that comment is gone and the card looks ok, but very small.  When I reformat it to remove bootice (or any other image) that comment is back, and I can only get the card to show 29.5GB from it's 32GB capacity.  There's something stuck in the front that I can't remove.

What is the exact command or tool you used to flash Jumpdrive?
I used balenaEtcher.
I used sudo dd if=JumpDrive_pine64-pinephone.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M.
(12-11-2022, 12:01 PM)_radv_ Wrote: I used balenaEtcher.

That looks fine. Mind that microSD card reader devices on the PC usually are not named "mmcblk1".

And another question: the small button underneath the back cover on top of the modem says "RESET", right?
(12-15-2022, 11:06 AM)fxc Wrote:

That looks fine. Mind that microSD card reader devices on the PC usually are not named "mmcblk1".

And another question: the small button underneath the back cover on top of the modem says "RESET", right?

right
(12-15-2022, 01:07 PM)_radv_ Wrote:

right

Would suggest that you open a ticket under https://support.pine64.org. You can mention in the ticket that you did debugging with a forum mod and that it is very likely an hardware issue.
(12-16-2022, 02:59 PM)fxc Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 01:07 PM)_radv_ Wrote:

right

Would suggest that you open a ticket under https://support.pine64.org. You can mention in the ticket that you did debugging with a forum mod and that it is very likely an hardware issue.

I'll add that to the long conversation I've already had with them.  Thanks.
I got a new microSD card. I flashed JumpDrive to it, just as I did the new microSD card I got a few weeks ago. This time the Pine Phone booted Jumpdrive from the card, and I was able to able to get archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220729.img running from the eMMC . So, that's nice, now I can turn on and use the phone. ...still not sure about the problem with the other two microSD cards and/or the reader. I'd like to figure it out.
I can't say, yet, that the microSD card reader works properly, nor what has caused the problem.
(12-20-2022, 11:30 AM)_radv_ Wrote: I got a new microSD card.  I flashed JumpDrive to it, just as I did the new microSD card I got a few weeks ago.  This time the Pine Phone booted Jumpdrive from the card, and I was able to able to get archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220729.img running from the eMMC .  So, that's nice, now I can turn on and use the phone. ...still not sure about the problem with the other two microSD cards and/or the reader.  I'd like to figure it out.
I can't say, yet, that the microSD card reader works properly, nor what has caused the problem.

MicroSD cards can break occasionally, they only last a limited amount of writes. Had some break for me the first time I used them.

You can put Tow-Boot on the eMMC,it will make it easier to reflash the eMMC in case of faults and it shouldn't be touched by the OS itself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SIM Card Slot Terror thismarty 4 337 12-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: thismarty
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 358 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  TF = MicroSD? _radv_ 1 182 12-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 317 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  UI crashes after unplugging USB device, seen on multiple OSes; is my hardware broken? slondr 1 382 11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: slondr
  SIM Card Install pineme 4 3,694 06-10-2022, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Won't boot - Failed to read Who-Am-I register nocargo 6 3,804 04-30-2022, 06:11 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  rough estimate of expected microSD installation life? andrewp907 4 1,546 03-07-2022, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Danct12
  How To Have Pinephone Ignore MicroSD On Boot? britelite 2 995 02-18-2022, 04:15 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
  SIM card slot not working dekrets 2 1,229 02-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Last Post: dekrets