using dreemurrs distro; callee cannot hear me after full upgrade.
Here is the scenario

Install Phosh for Pinephone Pro from https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pine64-Arch/releases/tag/20220729

Use the phone to call someone and they can hear me fine.

Configure and connect the phone to the public network and do a full upgrade from a terminal using

pacman -Suu

Call someone and they cannot hear me.

I would look into it myself but I have other obligations.  I realize that many are working hard on the SW and I expect nothing and appreciate all.
I am just reaching out to see whether someone knows of a package that I should install or ?
Possibly a CODEC or sound driver needs replacing.
Thanks and no worries if you have no answer at this point.
check if the output device has changed - it happend to me more then once

ezik
The callee (the one who is being called) cannot hear me which implies that the output
is not getting to them.
Have you used a Micro SD to try the scenario?
yes

and there is input device as well

ezik
(11-23-2022, 07:59 AM)shulamy Wrote: yes

and there is input device as well

ezik

True.

And the issue remains with that set to "mic" and the sound profile as "Phone".
(11-22-2022, 06:15 PM)james8880 Wrote: Here is the scenario

Install Phosh for Pinephone Pro from https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pine64-Arch/releases/tag/20220729

Use the phone to call someone and they can hear me fine.

Configure and connect the phone to the public network and do a full upgrade from a terminal using

pacman -Suu

Call someone and they cannot hear me.

I would look into it myself but I have other obligations.  I realize that many are working hard on the SW and I expect nothing and appreciate all.
I am just reaching out to see whether someone knows of a package that I should install or ?
Possibly a CODEC or sound driver needs replacing.
Thanks and no worries if you have no answer at this point.
I used the alsamixer program and saw that the "gnome-calls" application (or something that it uses) re-sets the level for ADC level, of Capture, for card "PinePhonePro" way too low.  It does that everytime a call is started. If I start the call and then immediately bump the value of ADC way back up, then my voice gets thru to the one that I am calling.  The root cause is yet to be fixed. My testing showed that the gnome "sound recorder" application does not reset ADC.
I am having the same issue with the same exact setup (Pro+Danctnix+Phosh). In the "sound" section I can test my sound and the "default" configuration setting picks up my voice+noise fine. Changing to the "phone call" profile, and nothing gets across at all.  My plan right now is to look into how to edit these configurations (GUI doesn't allow you to do so) and see if I can figure out why one can hear across the mic and the other cannot.

I'll look into alsamixer and see if my phone is lowering the capture level in this "Phone Call" configuration and see if we're having the same issue 100%.

Here's an example of my gnome settings on my desktop PC just to illustrate what I mean by "Configurations" as I feel the term is confusing and vague. It's a literal specific field inside gnome sound settings:

https://imgur.com/a/VFNOpIz

/edit
YES, it is the same issue. As soon as I hit the "Phone Call" configuration I can see the ADC input in alsamixer get immediately reduced to 19 from 100. Now just to figure out how to edit a "configuration".
I'm not sure if this is hamdled by alsa usm profiles or pulseaudio/pipewire profiles.

Check the alsa ucm profiles under /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/ to see if it matches the change you're seeing. If so you can edit the profile to something that suits you, but it'll get reverted the next time there's an update to the package that installed it.

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Alsa_UCM
(12-02-2022, 02:21 AM)wibble Wrote: I'm not sure if this is hamdled by alsa usm profiles or pulseaudio/pipewire profiles.

Check the alsa ucm profiles under /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/ to see if it matches the change you're seeing. If so you can edit the profile to something that suits you, but it'll get reverted the next time there's an update to the package that installed it.

Thank ya! There is a PinePhone.conf which points has the "Voice Call" config which points to VoiceCall.conf in the same folder. 

I don't see what I would change from this section though, unfortunately. Enable switches "on" and Disable switches "off". I'll read up further on Alsa UCM and Alsa in general. 

Code:
SectionDevice."Mic" {
        Comment "Internal Microphone"

ConflictingDevice [
                "Headset"
        ]

EnableSequence [
                cset "name='Stereo ADC MIXL ADC2 Switch' on"
        ]

DisableSequence [
                cset "name='Stereo ADC MIXL ADC2 Switch' off"
        ]

Value {
                CapturePriority 100
                CapturePCM "hw:${CardId}"
                CaptureMixerElem "ADC"
                CaptureVolume "ADC Capture Volume"
                CaptureSwitch "ADC Capture Switch"
        }
}
(12-02-2022, 02:21 AM)wibble Wrote: I'm not sure if this is hamdled by alsa usm profiles or pulseaudio/pipewire profiles.

Thank you.  I adjusted the capture in the alsa ucm and that solved it; until as you say, a package update sets it wrong.  ...gotta get the configuration changes upstream into the right package.. Although I am not initiating that action ATTM.
But now I know where to configure it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian bust again after dist-upgrade? grump_fiddle_reinstall 7 3,278 09-16-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Howto Full disk encryption manjaro and detached header (with keyboard) robocone 0 1,710 03-09-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: robocone