Arduino IDE on Pine64
Hi all,

I was happy to find out that since May Arduino released an ARM version of the IDE (currently 1.6.9). I tried installing it in my A64+ but sadly it didn't work and gives this error:

Code:
./arduino: line 34: /home/debian/Downloads/arduino-1.6.9/java/bin/java: No such file or directory

I did the same thing on my recently received CHIP and it worked without any hiccups. So, I'm wondering if the problem is related to an issue with ARM64 architecture. 

Have anyone tried to install it in their PINEs? 
Have anyone tried to compile it on the PINE? If so, how?

Thanks!!!
I am sure its a 64bit issue.

... Gordon Drogon (#raspbian, freenode) moderator made the Arduino IDE work on the Raspberry PI... for use with the Gertboard/ I've used it, works well.

He may be interested in making it work on the PineA64... might ask him...

marcus
(07-14-2016, 05:03 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: I am sure its a 64bit issue.

... Gordon Drogon (#raspbian, freenode) moderator made the Arduino IDE work on the Raspberry PI... for use with the Gertboard/  I've used it, works well.

He may be interested in making it work on the PineA64... might ask him...

marcus

Hi Marcus,

Please check whether Gordon interested in marking his Arduino IDE work in PineA64. If he interested, I will immediately send him a PineA64 board.

... TL
The error shown above is that Java isn't installed. It would be a good idea to install it first.
(07-15-2016, 07:55 AM)martinayotte Wrote: The error shown above is that Java isn't installed. It would be a good idea to install it first.

i was wondering about that since there are a few posts on the forum over on Arduino that suggest the install of the IDE puts java on the system and at least one post that even if a different version of java is installed and linked that the same error happens. could it simply be a PATH issue? i was not able to get it working, yet.
I gave it a try myself, and got the error. I figured out that was caused by the fact that all those binaries are 32bits, and this cause comptibility issues running on arm64.
I've tried to add some 32bits libs, but it quickly becomes a nightmare since even X11 32 bits version are required.
So, I've prefer to go the other way around : get rid of 32 bits and use 64 bits Java already present on PineA64.
I had to replace the libastylej.so by the 64bits version installed with apt-get, and also the liblistSerialsj.so that I had to compile from sources.
I then got the IDE up and running, but the AVR compiler still 32 bits, so I will have to continue digging, but for now, I don't have time.
To be continued ...
(07-16-2016, 09:30 AM)martinayotte Wrote: I gave it a try myself, and got the error. I figured out that was caused by the fact that all those binaries are 32bits, and this cause comptibility issues running on arm64.
I've tried to add some 32bits libs, but it quickly becomes a nightmare since even X11 32 bits version are required.
So, I've prefer to go the other way around : get rid of 32 bits and use 64 bits Java already present on PineA64.
I had to replace the libastylej.so by the 64bits version installed with apt-get, and also the liblistSerialsj.so that I had to compile from sources.
I then got the IDE up and running, but the AVR compiler still 32 bits, so I will have to continue digging, but for now, I don't have time.
To be continued ...

Thanks on the exploring and looking forward to have Arduino IDE runs on Pine64. When we implemented the Arduino shield adapter, I will send one free board and several sensor adapters to you.
For now you can just install the "arduino" package from the repositories. It is version 1.0.5, but it works
I've spared few more time and got it working !
For the avr-gcc compiler and avrdude tools, I've decided to leave the 32 bits version, so, to do that I've added some 32 bits version of libraries such libc/libpthread/libz and few other.
Next step will probably trying to add stm32duino framework to this 1.6.9 IDE.
(07-17-2016, 07:29 AM)martinayotte Wrote: I've spared few more time and got it working !
For the avr-gcc compiler and avrdude tools, I've decided to leave the 32 bits version, so, to do that I've added some 32 bits version of libraries such libc/libpthread/libz and few other.
Next step will probably trying to add stm32duino framework to this 1.6.9 IDE.

Wow!! martinayotte, 

That's awesome. I was trying to figure it out with a friend who is also more knowledgeable than me on Linux and Java, and we went the route of trying to force the IDE to look for the Java already installed in the Pine64 debian installation without success.

We then proceeded to install the Oracle ARM 64 version and replaced the OpenJDK one with that one, but again no success. Sad

I'm an Arduino fan would really like to get it working on my Pine64. Could you post a step by step procedure to get it to work? I read your posts but it seems you had to compile some files and I don't have a clear picture of the sources you used to get this to work. 

Again,.. awesome work!!!

(07-17-2016, 01:40 AM)illustris Wrote: For now you can just install the "arduino" package from the repositories. It is version 1.0.5, but it works

Illustris, unfortunately the version included in the debian repositories the 1.0.5, doesn't support all the new boards, specially those added by the additional boards in the Board Manager. That leaves out a lot of my boards that support Wifi such as the Udoo Neo, the ESP8266, RedBear Duo, and many other.

So ideally we want to run the latest IDE, as of now the 1.6.9.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,017 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,766 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,024 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,947 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,828 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11
  Fedora 27 on Pine64 gregjo 18 34,454 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Last Post: heatfanjohn
  Official build procedure of ayufan pine64 r.tanaka 0 3,052 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: r.tanaka
  DKMS on kernel 3.10.107-pine64 obrienmd 5 8,366 06-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Gentoo for pine64 - longsleep kernel incoherent 0 3,572 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: incoherent
  Fedora Running On Pine64! cztian 26 36,279 10-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Last Post: gregjo