PineNote is Out of stock.
(01-12-2023, 09:36 AM)j_s Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 07:32 PM)fxc Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 02:31 PM)diederik Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 02:11 PM)fxc Wrote: The PineNote isn't produced until the software state of an OS which the factory can pre-flash matured. From the Q&A:

"Due to very low and slow PineNote sales, the PineNote will only consider to produce again after stable and end user ready Linux OS build that can be used as PineNote default OS build becomes available."

Where can I find that Q&A?

How can I contribute to get Debian in a state so it can be used on the PineNote?

It was probably in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yzfyjIz5g0

Contributions can be discussed in the community chat, I personally don't know about the specifics-> https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms

So the announcement that the PineNote is out of production was made on youtube?

How much of the slow development is due to a lack of developers and how will more developers join in the development without access to PineNotes?

Announcement was made in the Discord (and livestream?) Q&A and recorded for YouTube.

New devices not being sold for the lack of mature software and the lack of mature software due to new devices not being sold is a hen and egg problem. However Pine Store also has more metrics, such as how fast the devices are sold or how many people tried to return it as "defective" because they were unhappy with the software so they should be trusted with such decisions IMO. They aren't scared of releasing devices into niches just because devices are potentially not sold, unlike commercial companies.

Judging from how slowly the batch sold out it must be one of the least favorite devices of Pine (ever?). Now combine it with the 1% rule and you have a very low amount of total contributors and contributions. It's also the only device I know from Pine, where the wiki is a mess even after months.
Thank you, that clarifies the situation.

It is too bad the stock got used up by people that should not have bought it. I did not buy one because there is no way I could contribute at an early stage.
(01-12-2023, 10:34 AM)fxc Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 09:36 AM)j_s Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 07:32 PM)fxc Wrote:
(01-07-2023, 02:31 PM)diederik Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 02:11 PM)fxc Wrote: The PineNote isn't produced until the software state of an OS which the factory can pre-flash matured. From the Q&A:

"Due to very low and slow PineNote sales, the PineNote will only consider to produce again after stable and end user ready Linux OS build that can be used as PineNote default OS build becomes available."

Where can I find that Q&A?

How can I contribute to get Debian in a state so it can be used on the PineNote?

It was probably in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yzfyjIz5g0

Contributions can be discussed in the community chat, I personally don't know about the specifics-> https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms

So the announcement that the PineNote is out of production was made on youtube?

How much of the slow development is due to a lack of developers and how will more developers join in the development without access to PineNotes?

Announcement was made in the Discord (and livestream?) Q&A and recorded for YouTube.

New devices not being sold for the lack of mature software and the lack of mature software due to new devices not being sold is a hen and egg problem. However Pine Store also has more metrics, such as how fast the devices are sold or how many people tried to return it as "defective" because they were unhappy with the software so they should be trusted with such decisions IMO. They aren't scared of releasing devices into niches just because devices are potentially not sold, unlike commercial companies.

Judging from how slowly the batch sold out it must be one of the least favorite devices of Pine (ever?). Now combine it with the 1% rule and you have a very low amount of total contributors and contributions. It's also the only device I know from Pine, where the wiki is a mess even after months.

I was hoping that the PN got to the EU store (stock predictions seemed ok), and while holding out for that to happen I noticed that it had sold out.
Panicked slightly and got one of the last unit from ameridroid.

And wiki apart I must say I'm quite surprised  how relatively well it is functioning running Debian no less!
Anyone got a time stamp where they mention discontinuing the PineNote? I don't know why Pine can't simply put all their news, polls, etc in one simple, easily accessible, non-proprietary location. You know, like the News Blog.

It's a shame that we won't be able to buy a PineNote anymore. I didn't buy one because they told us it was alpha hardware, don't buy it. Then they discontinued it because no one was buying it? Bleh.

Is it guaranteed they'll relaunch when the flashable images are ready?
(01-12-2023, 02:40 PM)BronzeBeard Wrote: Anyone got a time stamp where they mention discontinuing the PineNote? I don't know why Pine can't simply put all their news, polls, etc in one simple, easily accessible, non-proprietary location. You know, like the News Blog.

It's a shame that we won't be able to buy a PineNote anymore. I didn't buy one because they told us it was alpha hardware, don't buy it. Then they discontinued it because no one was buying it? Bleh.

It wasn't discontinued. The "experimental" Pine devices (such as the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro) usually go through a cycle:

Developer revision -> early adopters revision -> more stable revision

Between the developer revision and the early adopters revision there are usually quite a lot of hardware changes and the software is very early, so due to that reasons it's only recommended for developers to buy the developer revision. For comparison, for the PinePhone (regular and Pro) the developer edition wasn't even sold publicly, it was sold to known developers only.

For a new production run / batch / revision the software usually needs to mature first, which takes its time. Once there is an OS, which Pine can flash to the PineNote in the factory, it is expected that there will be a new batch.
(01-12-2023, 03:41 PM)fxc Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 02:40 PM)BronzeBeard Wrote: Anyone got a time stamp where they mention discontinuing the PineNote? I don't know why Pine can't simply put all their news, polls, etc in one simple, easily accessible, non-proprietary location. You know, like the News Blog.

It wasn't discontinued. The "experimental" Pine devices (such as the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro) usually go through a cycle:

Developer revision -> early adopters revision -> more stable revision

Between the developer revision and the early adopters revision there are usually quite a lot of hardware changes and the software is very early, so due to that reasons it's only recommended for developers to buy the developer revision. For comparison, for the PinePhone (regular and Pro) the developer edition wasn't even sold publicly, it was sold to known developers only.

For a new production run / batch / revision the software usually needs to mature first, which takes its time. Once there is an OS, which Pine can flash to the PineNote in the factory, it is expected that there will be a new batch.

Good to know, thank you.
e-ink is the only outdoor daylight visible tech that has hit the market in quantity.
It's drawback is slow refresh.
Everyone knows this already...sorry...just frame setting.
I've had Kindle Graphite's, Nooks, and even a reMarkable 1.  Loved them all.
Paid the one developer $20 for the debian port to reMarkable 1.
Lost it on a plane. Sad

My price point for items is about $150.  I bought the PinePhone for $150 even though I knew it would not be my daily driver.
(Why? I live in fringer service, tmo only provides VoLTE at this edge, phone companies in America use technilogical bits to get around laws our government makes like "bring your own device".  They shut off bands and throw out bits like "we wont open source our VoLTE client info".  This is not the land of the free.  Yes there are worse...dont delude yourself about the US though.)

So, $399 was above my buy it on a whim price.
The SD card also strongly matters to me.  I have a tablet who's EMMC got toasted...thank goodness it boots off USB.
The functional software for $399 also matters to me.

So I did not buy.
Not sure if the price can be brought down to < $200.  It would fly off the shelves then.

ps - PinePhone 5G? VoLTE? With a decent Andbox/whatever(w/ NFC please!)...I'd pay $500.  Just paid $350 for a used OnePlus that even after I adb shell pm remove / debloat...it still will have proprietary hidden software.  (I bricked the $200 Moto stylus 5g that I bought unlocked new...and they would not even let me pay to fix it.)

So close to the top Pine.  Get the pinenote to market with software that I can sell the thing used to a non-linux gearhead and they'd be happy.  Doesnt need a lot.  rss, epub, note taking.  Ditto a pinephone 5g.  If I can sell it to a normal user...you've now got a much larger market.

Not trying to stir a pot, offend anyone, flame ignite...just trying to say you're so close to what we want...so close.  Please keep trying.

(owner of pinecil, pinephone, soon pinetab (1), maybe pinebook, hopefully pinephone 5g, pinenote...oh and hell yes to the STAR64 which I came to look for today...get me a desktop replacement that has a CPU other than PPC or Intel....you've got a quad core Q660, 8 gigs of ram, and a OLD nvidia card to not beat...just come close to.  Yes, I will keep holding my breath...I know you'll make it.  Hoping to do more shopping with you soon.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current status of pinenote development vajak 1 1,025 02-23-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Dahrun
  Who is the target audience of the PineNote pinesucker 5 4,006 11-23-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  Terminal program (RS232/USB) on PineNote? roman 0 1,014 08-19-2022, 02:41 AM
Last Post: roman
  What sort of peripherals would you like to see for the PineNote? Internal 3g/5g modem ChriChri 27 22,597 07-15-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: markifi
  e-paper pinephone? smaller screen pinenote? ideograph 6 7,877 09-20-2021, 03:05 PM
Last Post: darnel
  Pine64 Announces The PineNote - A New Linux Powered E-Ink Tablet! ImmyChan 0 2,333 08-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: ImmyChan