looking at phones
So was looking at the PinePhone Pro, but going through the threads seams like the camera is not yet working, and some other beta like disadvantages. But it looked lie kit worked great with t-mobile in the US.  I also did a search and find soft yeses for using things like google play and other apps.

Looking at just the PinePhone, it's listed as beta, and hardware seams a little lackluster. (currently using Samsung A10e)

My most used apps are from google, Maps or Voice and then email oh and google's calendar type stuff. I don't care if google knows where I am while using it's map but they should be shut out of location if not running maps. ) after the google apps is Signal. Then we get down to clock, calculator, camera and last would be web surfing with firefox.

My questions:
1. Are there only 2 phones being offered, and they are both beta?
1a. Either of the phones fully usable if I bought for myself or my kid?
2. Confirm that the PinePhone hardware is a lot less than my current low end phone A10e(bellow specs) and the Pro would be a close?
2a. How fast would it feel being that the OS is different?
3. See weird verbiage about the battery being sold/package separately on the PinePhone Pro, do I order battery separately, etc?
4. Current or expected future use of apps from Google and or Google play?
4a. Using google maps to get to places and or google voice(for sms)?

Current Phone: A10e
Octa-core (2x1.6 GHz Cortex-A73 & 6x1.35 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU Mali-G71 MP2
32GB 2GB RAM or 32GB 3GB RAM
Camera: 8 MP, f/1.9, AF or 5 MP, AF

PinePhone Beta
CPU: 64-bit Quad-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex A-53
GPU: MALI-400MP2
Memory: 2GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
Internal Flash Memory: 16GB eMMC
Camera: Single 5MP, 1/4″, LED Flash

PinePhone Pro
CPU: 64-bit 6-core 4x ARM Cortex A53  + 2x ARM Cortex A72
GPU: Mali T860MP4
Internal Flash Memory: 128GB eMMC
Memory: 4GB LPDDR4
Camera: Single 13MP, Sony iMX258, LED Flash
that you are already here in THIS thread might as well check out the nice offerings of the Pinebook Pro. Wink)
(08-01-2022, 01:45 PM)justcody Wrote: My questions:
2. Confirm that the PinePhone hardware is a lot less than my current low end phone A10e(bellow specs) and the Pro would be a close?
3. See weird verbiage about the battery being sold/package separately on the PinePhone Pro, do I order battery separately, etc?

I don't really get why you would want to go for a Pinephone if you're happy with your Google phone. Since you are aware that your phone is spying on you and since you don't seem to mind it I'd say: Stick with it. Unless you like tinkering a lot in order to get a phone that sort of works (though unreliably), the Pinephone is not for you. All your questions have to be answered in the negative:

1. They are not even beta, many things simply do not work and many more things are unreliable (depending on the Operating System you use, but there is no OS that's fully funcional)
1a. No.
2. The Pinephone is underpowered and really, really slow. The Pro seems to be twice as fast (and would still probably be much slower than your current phone)
3. No idea. But talking of batteries: Battery life is short with the Pinephone, expect only a few hours standby time and even less when using it.
4. No, not at all.

That said, I would of course highly recommend to get a Pinephone. It's great fun.
Maybe you should think about to buy a murena phone https://murena.com/ or flash a supported phone by their OS https://doc.e.foundation/devices
They work con integrating al nessesary open source stuff, blocking trackers...
(08-01-2022, 01:45 PM)justcody Wrote: So was looking at the PinePhone Pro, but going through the threads seams like the camera is not yet working, and some other beta like disadvantages. But it looked lie kit worked great with t-mobile in the US.  I also did a search and find soft yeses for using things like google play and other apps.

Looking at just the PinePhone, it's listed as beta, and hardware seams a little lackluster. (currently using Samsung A10e)

My most used apps are from google, Maps or Voice and then email oh and google's calendar type stuff. I don't care if google knows where I am while using it's map but they should be shut out of location if not running maps. ) after the google apps is Signal. Then we get down to clock, calculator, camera and last would be web surfing with firefox.

My questions:

Current Phone: A10e
Octa-core (2x1.6 GHz Cortex-A73 & 6x1.35 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU Mali-G71 MP2
32GB 2GB RAM or 32GB 3GB RAM
Camera: 8 MP, f/1.9, AF or 5 MP, AF

PinePhone Beta
CPU: 64-bit Quad-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex A-53
GPU: MALI-400MP2
Memory: 2GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
Internal Flash Memory: 16GB eMMC
Camera: Single 5MP, 1/4″, LED Flash

PinePhone Pro
CPU: 64-bit 6-core 4x ARM Cortex A53  + 2x ARM Cortex A72
GPU: Mali T860MP4
Internal Flash Memory: 128GB eMMC
Memory: 4GB LPDDR4
Camera: Single 13MP, Sony iMX258, LED Flash

1: yes
1a: practically not usable by default, needs adjustment or reinstalling some o.s., and still buggy.
2: yes, i'm not good on comparisons but both regular and pro are low on specs.
3: battery is included, maybe confusion is about slightly different shipping.
4: mostly no google services, because most pp users like to avoid google components. technically possible though.
4a: gps works poorly, ( i haven't tested recently).

reading your list, isn't re-googled android better for you (yes RE-google). if you install "google play services", google practically tracks you regardless do you use maps or not. however, google maps may work without "google play services" and google account. many other google apps won't.

i have xiaomi mi max 3 (nitrogen) with de-googled android. naturally in de-googled android you avoid all google apps including google play, so it may not be your case.
This is the Pinebook not pinephone forum?

(08-03-2022, 07:02 AM)Rosbeefandino Wrote: Maybe you should think about to buy a murena phone https://murena.com/ or flash a supported phone by their OS https://doc.e.foundation/devices
They work con integrating al nessesary open source  stuff, blocking  trackers...

Nobody's data is safe in the Murena Cloud.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,231 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  Two phones , different service Nutmeg 3 2,718 06-30-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Nutmeg
  New phones/main-boards (US) when? Barugon 4 2,961 03-11-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: drpi
  Phone calls on New PMOS Community Edition phones bcnaz 3 4,832 09-15-2020, 03:32 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Comparing specs of 12 Linux phones amosbatto 8 11,328 08-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Last Post: amosbatto
  Estimated shipping for PMOS Convergence phones bcnaz 10 11,164 08-23-2020, 04:56 PM
  Will Linux on phones become as easy as PC? Ekterm 7 7,751 07-08-2020, 02:49 PM
  Shipping for phones that were back in stock on march 11th curioussav 1 2,540 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: curioussav
  Video on open source phones undo 11 12,134 12-21-2019, 01:09 AM