stopped receiving text messages
Hi, a few weeks ago I noticed that the chat app on my pinephone isn't getting texts anymore. I can still send them, but not recieve. I'm running mobian phosh on a pinephone beta. I haven't changed carrier or anything, and I haven't really changed anything on the phone. Does anyone know what might be going on?
(06-30-2022, 06:46 PM)jyoung Wrote: Hi, a few weeks ago I noticed that the chat app on my pinephone isn't getting texts anymore. I can still send them, but not recieve. I'm running mobian phosh on a pinephone beta. I haven't changed carrier or anything, and I haven't really changed anything on the phone. Does anyone know what might be going on?

Please check if the modem is clogged and if the SMS can be listed using the corresponding AT commands: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_F...eceive_SMS
(06-30-2022, 06:46 PM)jyoung Wrote: Hi, a few weeks ago I noticed that the chat app on my pinephone isn't getting texts anymore. I can still send them, but not recieve. I'm running mobian phosh on a pinephone beta. I haven't changed carrier or anything, and I haven't really changed anything on the phone. Does anyone know what might be going on?

The sort of clogging described in the wiki occurs in ModemManager and probably doesn't happen anymore in systems that properly process MMS messages (Chatty version >= 0.6?).

There is another (increasingly common?) source of clogs that is in the modem itself.  See the end of this thread for ideas on how to diagnose & work-around that type.
I'm not sure how to install the AT command. Does anyone know which package it belongs to?

After reading the other thread, I was able to run
mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms 

But that returned "No sms messages were found".

If the modem is clogged, mmcli doesn't seem to know about it.
(07-11-2022, 03:58 PM)jyoung Wrote: I'm not sure how to install the AT command. Does anyone know which package it belongs to?

AT commands are text strings sent to the modem.  mmcli has a way to do this but it doesn't work on newer versions unless ModemManager is in debug mode so that adds some complexity.  Other documented techniques involve using atinout or minicom.  I've used picocom successfully.

That thread I referenced has the appropriate AT commands but writing up the sort of instructions that should be in the wiki is a bit beyond me right now.
(07-11-2022, 04:26 PM)treebeard Wrote: That thread I referenced has the appropriate AT commands but writing up the sort of instructions that should be in the wiki is a bit beyond me right now.

The simplest probable solution:
1) enter "sudo su -", and then your password when prompted, to get a root shell.  The shell prompt should now read "root@mobian" or "root@pine" or something similar depending on your hostname.
2) enter/paste the text between the square brackets:  [echo -ne "AT+CMGD=,2\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2] .  I don't think you'll see a response.
3) enter "exit" to exit the root shell and return to your normal shell.
4) test reception of an SMS message.

The AT command tells the modem to purge all stored messages marked as revceived.  This will not show you the messages stored, nor the maximum capacity, nor provide any other diagnostic info, but should at least clear the problem.

Please report your results.
(07-11-2022, 04:26 PM)treebeard Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 03:58 PM)jyoung Wrote: I'm not sure how to install the AT command. Does anyone know which package it belongs to?

AT commands are text strings sent to the modem.  mmcli has a way to do this but it doesn't work on newer versions unless ModemManager is in debug mode so that adds some complexity.  Other documented techniques involve using atinout or minicom.  I've used picocom successfully.

That thread I referenced has the appropriate AT commands but writing up the sort of instructions that should be in the wiki is a bit beyond me right now.

(07-12-2022, 11:40 PM)jyoung Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 04:26 PM)treebeard Wrote:

I see the documentation about how to use mmcli to send AT commands

www.mankier.com/1/mmcli#Simple_Options

I installed ModemManager, and I tried the AT commands anyway without putting ModemManager in debug mode. It was able to detect a large number of queued messages, and purge them using the instructions on that thread. I have since received some texts. Maybe the issue with this method only working in debug mode has been solved?

However, there's a button in ModemManager to 'activate' the modem which I seem to need to click/press every time I restart the phone, otherwise texts don't come through. That seems weird, and certainly inconvenient.

Do I actually need ModemManger to use the AT commands with mmcli?
You don't need to use ModemManager to use the AT commands. They go to the modem's USB serial interface, so serial terminals like picocom can be used as stated up thread.. ModemManager is mentioned because on most distros it is already running and connected to that serial port, so to use something like picocom you first need to stop ModemManager. Whether debug mode is needed for AT commands in ModemManager depends on a build option which may or may not be used depending on distro and version.
(07-12-2022, 11:40 PM)jyoung Wrote: I installed ModemManager, and I tried the AT commands anyway without putting ModemManager in debug mode. It was able to detect a large number of queued messages, and purge them using the instructions on that thread. I have since received some texts. Maybe the issue with this method only working in debug mode has been solved?

However, there's a button in ModemManager to 'activate' the modem which I seem to need to click/press every time I restart the phone, otherwise texts don't come through. That seems weird, and certainly inconvenient.

Do I actually need ModemManger to use the AT commands with mmcli?

If you're running Mobian, ModemManager is already installed and running as a service.  mmcli is part of that package and is a way to interact with ModemManager (mm) via the "command line" (cli).

It sounds like maybe you installed ModemManagerGUI.  It crashes any time I've tried to use it so I can't say anything useful about it.  It is not a required component.  I don't know if it's just doing the same thing as  "mmcli -m any --messaging-delete-sms=?" or if it truly removing stuck messages from the modem like the AT command will.  Did my 4 step procedure work?

The recent-ish MM change to require debug mode for processing AT commands via mmcli was intentional, to close a security hole, so I doubt we'll see any change there.

install minicom
Followed by connecting to the modem tty through minicom by
Code:
sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB2

Entered
Code:
AT+CMGD=?

Which as far as I know is the test form that will simply show the parameters and their valid range.
Code:
+CMGD: (1,2,3,4,5,6,etc),(0-4)

Taking the 0-4 from the end I entered it into the delete command from the pdf like so
Code:
AT+CMGD=0,4

Which as best as I could see tells the modem to delete the message at index 0 and to delete all messages (delflags=4) so it's kindof redundant...

Rerunning the command to list the messages
Code:
(AT+CMGD=?)
it came back as
Code:
+CMGD: (),(0-4)

Which verified to me that the list of messages was cleared.
Then exited minicom with a reset. by pressing Ctrl + A then X and selected yes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone no longer receiving calls or texts jyoung 3 1,816 07-16-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: jyoung
  MMS sending stopped working amindfv 2 1,243 01-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Verizon call/text fix syrinx 0 1,346 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Last Post: syrinx
  Constant Shell messages adjf873_n-s 4 3,899 12-20-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: nimji
  No Voice or Text on Inland Cellular (non-MVNO) but Internet Data Works! calinb 14 16,268 11-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity