Should I just never use the PP keyboard?
I received my keyboard a few days ago, long awaited, probably because of COVID supply chain issues.

I've gotten it to work, but with some serious issues. First and most importantly, keys constantly get "stuck" and repeat a character continually, until I hit another key or two to break it out of the loop. I've had the keyboard's repeating character issues cause me to execute commands in the terminal from my shell history that I did not want to execute, which obviously can be extremely dangerous if you're doing the wrong task.
I've tried both the userland and kernel-mode drivers. Both have this issue, so probably not a software issue.

I haven't found a workaround for this. I've tried to ensure the pogo pins make good contact, doesn't seem to help.

Secondly, while I can live with the idea that I can't use the phone's USB-C port while it's in the keyboard, I have also heard gurglings of keyboards destroying PinePhones for no apparent reason, even when instructions are followed. If this is true, I may not want to use the keyboard at all, because despite its bugginess, I do use my PinePhone with Fedora as my daily driver.

Lastly, the keys just suck. You have to hit them dead-on or they don't depress, and even then you have to hit them *hard*, and I'm not just talking about the top row.

Returning isn't an option, for one it's not enough money to be worth the shipping hassle, and for another I doubt Pine64 would respond to help in any reasonable amount of time anyways.

What the hell should I do? Just eat the cost and forget about it?
Wow, that does suck. Personally, I would remove the keys from the keyboard and see what might be causing them getting stuck. Maybe remove one keycap?

Someone fixed the top row with some extra paper (or extra 3D-printed rings): https://avery.cafe/blog/a-quick-fix-for-...s-top-row/
Maybe something similar will work for you?

Are all the keys getting stuck?

About the battery inside the PPKB - it should be safe to use your keyboard, but treat the USB port of the phone as if it doesn't exist anymore, as you said. There's some extra info here about those stories you mentioned: https://www.pine64.org/2022/05/31/may-up...-the-wait/

Personally, if I would have received your PPKB instead of mine, I would have wasted an unjustifiably long time trying to hack it to work, then give up on it and swallow the cost if it didn't work at all. I might have even ordered a second PPKB, if other people said it's only a defective one. But I'm desperate for keyboards on phones, so don't take my advice too seriously.
(06-17-2022, 04:13 PM)theResonant Wrote: Personally, if I would have received your PPKB instead of mine, I would have wasted an unjustifiably long time trying to hack it to work, then give up on it and swallow the cost if it didn't work at all. I might have even ordered a second PPKB, if other people said it's only a defective one. But I'm desperate for keyboards on phones, so don't take my advice too seriously.

I LOL'd because I'd probably do the same thing for the same reasons.
@Subsentient

I had the same feeling when I got mine and it behaved more or less as you describe.  The keys and case balance are not that great but they still beat an onscreen keyboard.
  I got it that you already tried to improve the pogo contacts but bear with me...
  That being said, there is a simple test you can try to see if the repeating keys issue is fixable by you or not: squeeze together the screen where the pogo pins are (to temporarily improve a noisy/intermittent contact) and try to type something.  If the keys stop repeating, you have a typical first batch keyboard: salvageable and usable with the known caveats vs a total loss.  In my case this showed that by improving the contact I'll have a usable keyboard at least.  Seek more fixes for pogo contacts in the forum.
  There are also fixes for key responsiveness and feeling which improve the usability quite a bit (filing the edges, spacer rings).

I also applied a bit of tape to cover the phone port while in the case.  This stops accidental plugs of usb cables in the wrong port and serves as a reminder not to use it as such.  I've no HW problem since.  On the SW side it needed some configuration tweaking in Mobiam/PostmarketOS after the latest releases but nothing drastic.
Hello,
I would want to know the specifics of the Pinephone keyboard destroying Pinephones through the USB-C Sideboard before offering advice but in my general experience with the Pinephone and SBC's such as the Pi, Arduino etc you need to make sure that the battery is adjusted to the proper "Maximum charge level" in the tweeks app as well as-since it has been reported as an issue for that particular component-a volage-tester(voltameter) for SBC components from Amazon or Adafruit or whomever. I'll start looking for one now and follow up. I think I got mine from the HackerBox dude.
Power to most electronic devices has to be precise- no more, no less. I was able to correct the issue of screen flicker of which is commonly reported as a firmware issue (not in my case) by adjusting my Maximum charging level to 100% and only charging with a Pi 4 power source instead of leftover power sources from just any device or voltage rating and I would suspect any issues arising out of use with the keyboard could be mediated similarly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sales & shipping issues for PinePhone keyboard gsteenss 2 610 08-12-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: kat22
Bug PinePhone keyboard case renders itself brick failing to charge(?), help/input wanted e1337 1 149 08-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: e1337
  Keyboard drawing only 0.1A from charger qwazix 5 1,390 08-01-2022, 03:25 PM
Last Post: magdesign
  Convert Pinephone Keyboard into Powerbank magdesign 4 543 07-31-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: magdesign
  PP Keyboard question drh 3 340 07-24-2022, 02:15 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 3 473 07-13-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Hook
  KB: Using bus powered USB peripherals with the pinephone keyboard mounted docsunset 5 435 06-30-2022, 10:46 AM
Last Post: docsunset
  Convergence docking bar and keyboard pifou 4 989 06-23-2022, 04:40 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad Zebulon Walton 9 4,008 06-17-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PP Keyboard still has not arrived jojuma 15 2,587 06-12-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Roger_Wilco