Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS
Getting closer.

My APN can be either vzwinternet for regular mobile data, or vzwapp for MMS.  I can't seem to get both things working at the same time on one APN.  If I'm on vzwinternet, HTTP requests for MMS contents (more on that below) hang forever.  If I'm on vzwapp, those special HTTP requests work, but regular internet traffic goes nowhere.  I think this situation might be described in the mmsd-tng README:

Quote:Please note that due to limitations of Modem Manager, mmsd-tng does not support having multiple APNs at the same time (for carriers that seperate MMS APN from Mobile Data APNs).

That seems like what I'm seeing, though I don't know why Verizon is giving me this treatment when it's working under one APN for other people.  But I'll set that aside for now.

So, when I have vzwapp selected and configured in the mms config file, Chatty launches and runs for a few seconds... and then segfaults.  I had thought that was my fault and something about package managment but it turns out it's related to the MMS situation.  I see log entries in journalctl where it looks like mmsd-tng is parsing my test messages so I'm wondering if the problem is with Chatty itself.

Trying another angle I poked around with the python-messaging package the Mobian doc links to.  It doesn't quite work due to Python version issues but it does manage to parse the headers from a message, and I can see I was 99% there with the hexdump earlier-- the only missing piece was being on the right APN.  I can fetch the actual MMS contents with curl that way, putting together the URL and the hexadecimal message ID.  That gives me a glob of binary and XML weirdness that seems to have the elusive JPEG inside it.  So I guess I have a handle on the cellular/mobile aspect and can narrow this down to a software problem with Chatty and/or mmsd-tng.  I'll keep at it and see what I can do.  Thanks again for your help you two.

Messages In This Thread
Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by epiii2 - 05-31-2022, 07:44 PM
RE: Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS - by epiii2 - 06-03-2022, 05:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,769 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz