Troubleshooting and Understanding MMS
Just to add to the Verizon confusion/frustration, I still get a clogged modem cache that needs to be manually cleared through the AT commands using minicom.

I had a systemd timer and service to do this, but after X number of cache clears it soft-bricked the EG25.

Also, still haven't determined the number of SMS it takes to fill the cache, so its just something in my troubleshooting routine "phone's acting up, maybe time to clear modem cache?" If anyone has determined the frequency it fills the cache that info would be much appreciated

Complicates troubleshooting MMS when I'm never even entirely sure the phone is working at all.
(08-20-2022, 11:05 AM)brb78 Wrote: Just to add to the Verizon confusion/frustration, I still get a clogged modem cache that needs to be manually cleared through the AT commands using minicom.

I had a systemd timer and service to do this, but after X number of cache clears it soft-bricked the EG25.

Also, still haven't determined the number of SMS it takes to fill the cache, so its just something in my troubleshooting routine "phone's acting up, maybe time to clear modem cache?" If anyone has determined the frequency it fills the cache that info would be much appreciated

Complicates troubleshooting MMS when I'm never even entirely sure the phone is working at all.

I've reported the issue.  Chime in there if you can to let the developers know it's not just me that sees this.

If you send AT+CPMS? to the modem, it will reply with something like "+CPMS: "ME",2,99,"MT",2,99,"MT",2,99".  That means there are 2 messages stored, with a capacity of 99.  I see a capacity of 99 with a Verizon SIM in the phone, but only 36 with a Ting SIM.  I have no idea why the SIM would make a difference.
(08-14-2022, 09:04 PM)treebeard Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 12:29 PM)pikurasa Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 08:09 AM)npesall Wrote: It has been a couple weeks, anyone had any luck/progress on MMS on verizon lately?

No luck in solving the actual problem.

Darn, I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm real curious what the heck is going on with your system.  Have you tried flashing Mobian on a SD card and configuring that for calls & texts to see if it works properly?

I haven't successfully installed Mobian yet. I can't get it to boot outside of PostmarketOS at the moment. Also I am a bit hesitant now that I have been using the phone for over a month. I am unsure how categorically different the results would be and I am finding a place of predictability (albeit very inconvenient). I would be willing to try some development builds of modemmanager etc., however, to see if that solves any of the issues.
Exclamation 
Hello

ModemManager still doesn't support multiple APNs. I think about sending a Pinephone and a SIM card to help the developer to test this use case, is it a good idea?
(09-02-2022, 01:17 PM)anonymous Wrote: Hello

ModemManager still doesn't support multiple APNs. I think about sending a Pinephone and a SIM card to help the developer to test this use case, is it a good idea?

What's the worst that could happen?
(09-05-2022, 02:10 PM)npesall Wrote:

He refused my suggestion anyway:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkMa...te_1537154
Well, if a group of us want to quit Verizon at (around) the same time, and collectively send the message that THEY (Verizon) ought to put some resources (money and people) behind development, I am prepared to join such an effort. I already looked into what moving over to another carrier would entail.
(09-08-2022, 12:05 PM)pikurasa Wrote: Well, if a group of us want to quit Verizon at (around) the same time, and collectively send the message that THEY (Verizon) ought to put some resources (money and people) behind development, I am prepared to join such an effort. I already looked into what moving over to another carrier would entail.

I've thought about this too.  But 'round these parts we have (1) Verizon with good coverage and which will allow my Pinephone to connect as long as you set up with a burner phone first and then swap the SIM card, (2) AT&T which has good coverage and will not allow my Pinephone to connect because they decided to boot any phone they don't recognize even if it is compatible, and T-Mobile which works great in my town as long as you only want to use your phone on the top floor of a tall building.
(09-08-2022, 05:19 AM)anonymous Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 02:10 PM)npesall Wrote:

He refused my suggestion anyway:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkMa...te_1537154

By way of an update, the developer seems to indicate they're working on it - but also that the new semester at his college has started so his available time is limited.  It's been a couple weeks now - has anyone else discovered any work arounds?
(09-24-2022, 05:51 PM)npesall Wrote: By way of an update, the developer seems to indicate they're working on it - but also that the new semester at his college has started so his available time is limited.  It's been a couple weeks now - has anyone else discovered any work arounds?

I think in every distro there is option to do something just before suspend and because you receive only call, sms and mms notification while on suspend you can change your APN to MMS when phone is on suspend.

On PostmarketOS this works flawless:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16882

With Arch and Manjaro I have not found way to archieve the same but I have script which changes APN regarding lockscreen changes.
I just have to find out where it is since I am not using Arch or Manjaro as daily driver.

With Mobian I am quite sure that it will work quite similar to PMOS but I have not tried so this is just a guess Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin troubleshooting Chatty / modem? no SMS outbound vap0rtranz 5 3,665 02-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: vap0rtranz