PINE as Wireless Repeater/Access Point?
I'm trying to figure out if Pine can do what I am hoping it can, and if so, HOW Smile

I have a large home with concrete and lath and plaster walls.  Pretty much the bane for wireless signals.  I've tried the Wireless Repeaters that connect via wifi, and then rebroadcast, but they are NOT GOOD for my application.  I am unclear on what the technical term is for it (Repeater, Extender, Access Point, etc) but what I need is something to connect via wired connection, and then broadcast a wireless signal (essentially a wireless router).  I have a good wireless router now, that reaches most of the house, but I need something for 3 smaller areas.  I was about to buy some cheap wireless routers and just set the SID and pw the same as my existing one.

It seems that even the cheaper board (with the Wifi) would be able to do this from a technical stand point, but I don't know what kind of software I'd need to accomplish.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(01-22-2016, 06:22 PM)Dizzy49 Wrote: I'm trying to figure out if Pine can do what I am hoping it can, and if so, HOW Smile

I have a large home with concrete and lath and plaster walls.  Pretty much the bane for wireless signals.  I've tried the Wireless Repeaters that connect via wifi, and then rebroadcast, but they are NOT GOOD for my application.  I am unclear on what the technical term is for it (Repeater, Extender, Access Point, etc) but what I need is something to connect via wired connection, and then broadcast a wireless signal (essentially a wireless router).  I have a good wireless router now, that reaches most of the house, but I need something for 3 smaller areas.  I was about to buy some cheap wireless routers and just set the SID and pw the same as my existing one.

It seems that even the cheaper board (with the Wifi) would be able to do this from a technical stand point, but I don't know what kind of software I'd need to accomplish.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You will need OpenWRT code and not yet available.
@Dizzy49, check out this article on setting up a router as a wireless access point. Just setting the Sid and password the same isn't quite enough, but you're on the right track.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
I've read similar articles and am aware of what needs to be done.

The biggest issue, is the fact that it doesn't want to release the signal from Wireless AP1, even if Wireless AP2 has a stronger signal. While some devices allow you to set a threshold, most do not. The other option of course is to use different SIDs, and manually switch when needed.
If you want to simply share an internet connection through a soft AP, then you could use a virtual router software. There are many I'm sure, but the first I came across for linux was 'ap-hotspot'.

You could add all hotspots to your device so it will move between them when signal strength changes, or leave them as open networks (if the software supports white-listing certain MAC addresses, or you do not care about security features).

But as Tllim says, OpenWRT would be the best option, and most feature full way of setting up a wireless repeater.
Once Linux is supported, look into HostAP.  I'm guessing it'll take a while for OpenWRT to be supported if Linux isn't yet.
Sean Nobles | Solution Developer/GM
Sequoia Cyber Solutions
My Blog
I did this with OpenWRT, I had an old Buffalo router in my closet and flashed Openwrt..
Its pretty cool. It was a pain in the ass to figure out but I got it working.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Good morning community! I'm also very interested in creating a Wireless Access point using my Rockpro64. Any ideas on how we can make that happen? I have an Asus wifi repeater that I purchased and the AI MESH software for it is junk. I'm hoping that I can use my SBC instead so that I can keep my NAS at home running smoothly. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine 64 as Smart Speaker via Bluetooth Partymack711 0 3,194 06-21-2020, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
Video Best O.S. to use Pine as MediaCenter and Browser? marco97pa 12 17,207 03-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Last Post: abs0lut.zer0
  pine vr rxb 0 2,269 02-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Last Post: rxb
  Ham Radio Repeater rneese 1 3,347 07-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: ngpacer
  Pine tracker site like http://rastrack.co.uk? frewind 11 13,587 05-21-2016, 12:46 AM
Last Post: frewind
  Installing Pine A64 into a truck wesleyhowe123 1 3,496 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Last Post: ViperVi
  Pine 64 as a NAS media centre cerberusjvl 11 19,720 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Last Post: By-Jokese
  Wireless Printer Ernst 1 3,239 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Keex
  Pine A6+ with OpenVPN sprout 6 10,223 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: alg_42
  Host website on Pine server Ernst 6 9,124 02-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Last Post: jl_678