Freecad on the PBP
I know the PBP is not ideal for modeling but I use it to practice while I learn and to tinker with ideas when away from the desktop.  Recently an update to Manjaro moved to a new version of python and freecad would no longer work.  I solved the problem with this thread: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/rolling-back...sion/52985 and pyenv.  I am just kind of wondering if there is a more elegant solution to this.  I had thought I could roll back with pacman, but the linked thread says that manjaro considers python to be a system component, and I worried that a rollback may break something else.  BTW, the flatpak for freecad could not be installed, and IIRC the snap was also a dud.  I think they may not be maintained any longer, so I am glad I found any kind of solution at all.

On another note , freecad has a fork that sounds interesting: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_a...3/releases.  When I have a minute I will try the x86 AppImage, but I do not have confidence that it will work on the PBP.  Is it possible to recompile from source for something like this, or will I be throwing away my time? Thanks in advance.
have you tried installing python-is-python3? iirc it's intended for this exact kind of use case where a user app uses an older python, but the base system uses a newer python.You likely won't have any luck with an x86 version on a PBP, instead try using pamac to look through the AUR for FreeCAD, and edit/check the build file to ensure aarch64 is included in the supported architectures. (yay can also do this automatically, if it doesn't see your architecture in the build file, it will prompt you if you you'd like it to try and build for it.)
Flatpak-type images usually suck anyway, especially if like me you have a dark theme set in your window manager. Which they just ignore and give you instead this glaring default bright white/light GTK (or whatever) theme, which I find absolutely jarring, especially at night.

Anyway, Python dependencies conflicting with system Python is certainly nothing new. Solutions like pyenv are designed specifically for this case.

Alternatively you should be using your distro's package, as cohesive dependency management is sort of the whole point of package managers after all. If there is some conflict, maybe raise an issue either with your distro or maybe FreeCAD, depending.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).