External Antenna port daily driver on Verizon
Hey guys, just found the Pine phone!!!  Never knew they existed as an ubuntu user for years.  

Does anyone know how I can install an external antenna port for voice and data?  

The purpose of this would be to move the emissions away from user and gain decibels.  No passive antenna boosters.   Our old Samsung S4's have R1 and R2 ports in the back we have been plugging into with an adapter to fme and wilson antenna.  Its awesome, when not plugged in the phone uses internal antennas like everyone else when plugged in it moves signal away from user with an appreciable gain in range and performance.   Sadly Verizon is shutting down voice on anything below a samsung S5.  Nothing I can find newer than s4 has such a feature.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/patch-l...-galaxy-s4

I have seen posts here of guys installing external gps antenna, and would love to hear any thoughts on accomplishing this.  Perhaps a pigtail wired in and a custom case?  new antenna conectors?

Thank you so much!
The bottom phone antenna is connected via a coax connector - u.FL I think - so you could add yours in its place. The others have spring connectors to printed antennae, so aren't as easy to replace.
Thank you Wibble.   I looked at the switched connectors you mentioned and hadn't understood their place before.

https://www.murata.com/en-global/product...hconnector    "They are widely used for measurements on manufacturing lines"

Basically when a probe (or antenna adapter)  is inserted it opens the internal antenna circuit re routing thru probe.  Looks like if a guy could move the switch to somewhere accessible, and a proper antenna connector you would be made!  Internal antenna  or external antenna!
I rely on my phone (Verizon) for internet service in a very very (very) rural area. I've recently ordered my PinePhone, and plan to add an external antenna connection (probably with a custom case, so it's nice and tidy. When I'm home, I'll dock it, plug external antenna, and let it serve as the WAN connection. I wonder if anyone has actually gotten anywhere with using the u.FL connector? I've seen talk about it in various places online, but haven't seen anyone who's actually done it yet.
After a bit more time and research, I have ordered some parts to work on actualizing this.  I plan to hijack the coax running to the sub-assembly board, along with something for switching.  I'll be using an MMCX jack for my purposes, and will modify the chassis as necessary to accommodate the connector.  I'll post pictures and details once everything arrives.  All of the parts were easy to source from Mouser.com, though one could also get it on Amazon, albeit with a little bit more hackery.
(04-30-2022, 01:58 PM)TheBusyWizard Wrote: After a bit more time and research, I have ordered some parts to work on actualizing this.  I plan to hijack the coax running to the sub-assembly board, along with something for switching.  I'll be using an MMCX jack for my purposes, and will modify the chassis as necessary to accommodate the connector.  I'll post pictures and details once everything arrives.  All of the parts were easy to source from Mouser.com, though one could also get it on Amazon, albeit with a little bit more hackery.

I cant wait to see how it goes.  The patch lead to switch connection is a weak spot.  Would love to see it as easy as aux port.

My family has been using older phones with external antennas for years to get service in rural areas. 

What im seeing is most motherboards have micro switches already installed between radio and antenna for factory testing, however they are tough to access and not physically up to repeated cycles.  The micro switches on this s10 board have been removed, new larger solder pads installed and more robust older model switches installed.  First solder attempt was no good but should get second attempt back next week for testing.  Would be nice to have option manufactured into phone.

switches are off a s4 board

patch lead for switches https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6P...UTF8&psc=1

here is another page with various patch leads and demonstration of older phones with external antennas  https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/patch-l...-galaxy-s4
(04-30-2022, 03:50 PM)Billthompson Wrote:
(04-30-2022, 01:58 PM)TheBusyWizard Wrote: After a bit more time and research, I have ordered some parts to work on actualizing this.  I plan to hijack the coax running to the sub-assembly board, along with something for switching.  I'll be using an MMCX jack for my purposes, and will modify the chassis as necessary to accommodate the connector.  I'll post pictures and details once everything arrives.  All of the parts were easy to source from Mouser.com, though one could also get it on Amazon, albeit with a little bit more hackery.

I cant wait to see how it goes.  The patch lead to switch connection is a weak spot.  Would love to see it as easy as aux port.

My family has been using older phones with external antennas for years to get service in rural areas. 

What im seeing is most motherboards have micro switches already installed between radio and antenna for factory testing, however they are tough to access and not physically up to repeated cycles.  The micro switches on this s10 board have been removed, new larger solder pads installed and more robust older model switches installed.  First solder attempt was no good but should get second attempt back next week for testing.  Would be nice to have option manufactured into phone.

switches are off a s4 board

patch lead for switches https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6P...UTF8&psc=1

here is another page with various patch leads and demonstration of older phones with external antennas  https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/patch-l...-galaxy-s4

The u.FL / w.FL style connectors have extremely low cycle tolerance IME.  (In my less seasoned days, I've destroyed more than one on the second cycle... experience has improved this though.) 

The biggest problem I anticipate is in reliably switching between the two signal paths without causing signal degradation or risking damage to the radio from reflections.  Devices exist to handle this kind of thing, but I don't know how easy it will be to integrate.  I'd like to include a physical switch (even a DIP switch perhaps) near the external connector.

My goal in the whole thing is to splice into the existing coax cable running between the main board and the secondary board.  A good reference is here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15474
I will leave the existing "switched u.FL" connector, as well as C2 (as labeled in the linked post).  This should provide the most reliable option.  (Specifically, the least soldering / desoldering on my part.)
Once I've found a suitable RF switch for this project, I'll post a list of the parts I'm using.  Once my PinePhone and all the parts arrive, I'll dive in and post about it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lora driver moxx 0 848 11-09-2022, 07:30 AM
Last Post: moxx
  Top of screen and USB port malfunctioning Severinus 0 1,087 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Severinus
  Connect external modem? feklee 7 4,936 12-06-2021, 03:52 AM
Last Post: feklee
  GPS Antenna - external connector? GregH 14 11,651 09-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Last Post: HobanWashburn
  Replace/Solder USB-C port on Pinephone magdesign 4 3,783 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  external speaker mascarade01 5 8,679 12-16-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: mascarade01
  My list of noticed driver issues Subsentient 4 4,836 07-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Pine Phone/Braveheart Antenna tuning bcnaz 9 9,328 11-30-2019, 01:20 PM