PINE64 Response to Keyboard Issues
I really feel like with as issues there have been with the keyboard, PINE64 needs to make some kind of official statement on it. or at the very least, put something on the keyboard store page saying that there is a real possibility that you will have to modify the keyboard for basic functionality. The issue is with the phones and their messed up POGO pins but it is too late to do anything about that, for all the phones that have shipped. Personally, I have a Pro and a regular PinePhone, I can get the keyboard working on the Pro but no charger and I can't get either working on the regular PinePhone. I've tried shimming a few different ways and the best results were that I got the keyboard working intermittently on the PinePhone but it stopped working on the Pro.

There are obviously a lot of people with these issues, just jump in the matrix chats and you'll see several people a day complaining about their keyboard not working. Not to mention, lots of people have issues with the top row of keys needing to be shimmed, which again isn't stated on the store page. I love what PINE64 is doing here but selling units that need to be modified by customers to work but not telling the customers that is very poor form.
(02-10-2022, 10:00 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I really feel like with as issues there have been with the keyboard, PINE64 needs to make some kind of official statement on it. or at the very least, put something on the keyboard store page saying that there is a real possibility that you will have to modify the keyboard for basic functionality. The issue is with the phones and their messed up POGO pins but it is too late to do anything about that, for all the phones that have shipped. Personally, I have a Pro and a regular PinePhone, I can get the keyboard working on the Pro but no charger and I can't get either working on the regular PinePhone. I've tried shimming a few different ways and the best results were that I got the keyboard working intermittently on the PinePhone but it stopped working on the Pro.

There are obviously a lot of people with these issues, just jump in the matrix chats and you'll see several people a day complaining about their keyboard not working. Not to mention, lots of people have issues with the top row of keys needing to be shimmed, which again isn't stated on the store page. I love what PINE64 is doing here but selling units that need to be modified by customers to work but not telling the customers that is very poor form.

I'd expect it too. I do also have a problem with the top row of keys and shimming  improved it a little bit, but not fully and the "feel" from pushing is different and very strange (non natural).

Also I'd expect more clear information what USB devices can be connected to pine phone when attached to keyboard, especially the pine64 convergency dock. Not mentioning that the convergency docking stattion is not working properly all the time.
I am not expecting to hear from Pine64 until after Chinese New Year. So, really mid to late March. I prefer that Pine64 does not respond until after they have thoroughly investigated the keyboard issues, which could take quite some time.
(02-11-2022, 10:02 PM)drh Wrote: I am not expecting to hear from Pine64 until after Chinese New Year. So, really mid to late March. I prefer that Pine64 does not respond until after they have thoroughly investigated the keyboard issues, which could take quite some time.

I disagree with this a bit. I think you have to say something and say you are working on it, rather than say nothing. Just the act of saying that you are investigating it is much better than investigating it in silence, which leads us to think they aren't doing anything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,717 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 8,204 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 418 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,146 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 445 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,228 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 511 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 611 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 1,014 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 820 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof