New Pinephone Pro won't boot, not even in recovery mode
So I just received the pro yesterday. I've only handled it a few times, and just downloaded the mega iso to try and test new distros. But I havn't actually made any changes, the phone won't boot anymore. Initially i thought it was the battery so O left it on the charger for several hours. No change there, still refuses to boot. After a quick search I discovered the recovery mode by hitting the power and volume up at the same time. This also does nothing. I get no indicators, no change in the display. No lights or leds. Nothing. Battery in or out, on a charger, nothing changes. It will not boot.
I'm having the same problem. I got my PinePhone Pro Explorer edition yesterday, it's now refusing to boot at all.

I know the battery is fully charged, I've tested it in my original PinePhone.

I've tried holding down the power button, power button + volume up, power + reset button, nothing works.

Plugging in the phone to computer lsusb shows:
Code:
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 2207:330c Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Company RK3399 in Mask ROM mode

Is there anything else I should attempt before I return the device as faulty?
(01-29-2022, 01:00 PM)Kaiser958 Wrote: So I just received the pro yesterday. I've only handled it a few times, and just downloaded the mega iso to try and test new distros. But I havn't actually made any changes, the phone won't boot anymore. Initially i thought it was the battery so O left it on the charger for several hours. No change there, still refuses to boot. After a quick search I discovered the recovery mode by hitting the power and volume up at the same time. This also does nothing. I get no indicators, no change in the display. No lights or leds. Nothing. Battery in or out, on a charger, nothing changes. It will not boot.

I'm having the same experience.  I've been using a cheap wall charger so my guess is that it is not supplying enough power?  I'm plugging mine into a notebook to see if the noteboook will give it enough power.  So far, nothing.  dmesg isn't even registering that something was plugged in. ....I'll let it go overnight.

Please post here if you're having the same problem. Hopefully we can get through this!!  Smile

Anthony
Hmm wonder if it could be a battery issue ?
Instead of waiting for the battery to charge on my new PPPro, I had a spare battery fully charged I put in and I have had no problems.
The phone can be booted to eMMC or sd card by just holding the power button a few extra seconds ---> it boots the sd card.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I have the same issue.
Device ran out off battery over night.
Im not able to chare tried different chargers and also plugging into a computer while holding the RE button down.

In RE Mode my OS (Windows) does not recognize the Phone in Device Manager.

Would be could if someone could find a solution :-)
(02-01-2022, 03:05 AM)Fragggy Wrote: I have the same issue.
Device ran out off battery over night.
Im not able to chare tried different chargers and also plugging into a computer while holding the RE button down.

In RE Mode my OS (Windows) does not recognize the Phone in Device Manager.

Would be could if someone could find a solution :-)

Darn....Just bought a charger on amazon. Sad
(02-01-2022, 01:41 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Hmm  wonder if it could be a battery issue ?
Instead of waiting for the battery to charge on my new  PPPro,  I had a spare battery fully charged I put in and I have had no problems.
The phone can be booted to eMMC or sd card  by just holding the power button a few extra seconds --->  it boots the sd card.

Did you end up charging the new battery?   Did it charge properly?
Does the device require a battery? I've plugged in the power but without a battery and it still won't boot. BTW, this is is a pinephone pro explorer edition.
@anhu
I charged the Pro battery in the Pine external charger, no apparent problem with the battery, I have put that battery back into the Pro
and it is working properly.

I have not tried starting any model of Pine phone without a battery, but I 'seem to remember' reading the modem does not work without a battery installed.
:-)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-02-2022, 05:36 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I have not tried starting any model of Pine phone without a battery, but I 'seem to remember' reading the modem does not work without a battery installed.

That is correct. The modem is powered directly by the battery, so with no battery there is no cell phone functionality. I believe the same is true for wifi.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 187 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 504 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 387 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 681 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 738 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,269 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,330 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 853 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,446 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Shutdown / Reboot PPP from TowBoot "Volume Up" USB Readable Drive Mode crocspot 2 631 11-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaForest