New Keyboard Questions
Ok, just received my keyboard and fitted the phone into it - looks good BUT I have no idea if it's working as the keys aren't responding. I've connected the keyboard to power and pressed what I assume is the ON switch just above the USB socket but there are no lights, nothing on the screen - this is stock Manjaro. So what am I missing? How can I tell if the keyboard is active and if it is why aren't the keys registering?

(01-11-2022, 07:40 AM)dgiffin Wrote: Ok, just received my keyboard and fitted the phone into it - looks good BUT I have no idea if it's working as the keys aren't responding. I've connected the keyboard to power and pressed what I assume is the ON switch just above the USB socket but there are no lights, nothing on the screen - this is stock Manjaro. So what am I missing? How can I tell if the keyboard is active and if it is why aren't the keys registering?

And as if by magic I see a Tweet saying the phone needs to be powered off before setting it in the case - problem solved :-) But I'd still like to know how to check they keyboard battery etc?
It appears there's no battery charge indicator LED built into the keyboard which is a shame Sad I can live with this but it is something that would have been nice to have.
I haven't checked it on my Pinephone at all (keyboard still not arrived here) but if you look at /sys/class/power_supply, isn't keyboard's battery there?
(01-11-2022, 06:05 PM)VaZso Wrote: I haven't checked it on my Pinephone at all (keyboard still not arrived here) but if you look at /sys/class/power_supply, isn't keyboard's battery there?

I can see this:

/sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-battery
/sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb

According to the manual "Compatible operating systems display both the PinePhone’s and keyboard’s battery status." but I don't see any on-screen indication of the keyboard's battery status.
Also, where the heck is the "_" key`?
(01-12-2022, 05:49 AM)dgiffin Wrote: Also, where the heck is the "_" key`?

That's a really good question! I can't see any mention of it in this factory keymap. It's not even obvious how you'd modify that keymap, if necessary, to add it.

Can anyone lucky enough to already have a working keyboard confirm if they can type an underscore? Maybe holding down some combination of keys with 9?
(01-12-2022, 08:38 AM)acid andy Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 05:49 AM)dgiffin Wrote: Also, where the heck is the "_" key`?

That's a really good question! I can't see any mention of it in this factory keymap. It's not even obvious how you'd modify that keymap, if necessary, to add it.

Can anyone lucky enough to already have a working keyboard confirm if they can type an underscore? Maybe holding down some combination of keys with 9?

|      ~      _ +  Key+Fn+Shift
  \ $ €  ` - =      Key+Fn
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0  Key
I'm not sure about Mobian and Manjaro, but both Arch and PostmarketOS are using a kernel driver for now, rather than Megi's userspace driver. So far, I've found a couple of keymap issues with that kernel driver. Namely, Fn-9 should be underscore (but is minus), and Fn-8 should be equals (but is plus).

Edit: Found another one: Fn-1 should be pipe (but is backslash).

As far as keymap customization goes, that's only possible with the userspace driver (and even then currently requires re-compilation). Adding support for runtime-specified keymaps is in the userspace driver's TODO file.
(01-11-2022, 07:40 AM)dgiffin Wrote: And as if by magic I see a Tweet saying the phone needs to be powered off before setting it in the case - problem solved :-) But I'd still like to know how to check they keyboard battery etc?

Do you have to reboot the phone each time you want to put on the keyboard case? Because that would make the keyboard much less useful in my opinion and I didn't see it mentioned in the store page.
(01-13-2022, 07:50 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 07:40 AM)dgiffin Wrote: And as if by magic I see a Tweet saying the phone needs to be powered off before setting it in the case - problem solved :-) But I'd still like to know how to check they keyboard battery etc?

Do you have to reboot the phone each time you want to put on the keyboard case? Because that would make the keyboard much less useful in my opinion and I didn't see it mentioned in the store page.

I think the answer is yes. I don't know the knowhow of it but I think it basically just checks if the keyboard is attached on boot then goes from there. I think you can still charge the phone without having to reboot it but to use the keyboard you need to turn it off then on again. Easy workaround, don't ever take the keyboard off...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,220 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,638 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,905 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 393 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,114 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 449 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 562 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 905 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 720 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof