Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays.
Quote:I would suggest to build an expansion board for a module instead: https://www.pine64.org/sopine/

You can then also get the baseboard (note the LiPo battery support): https://www.pine64.org/baseboard/

I imagine you could find a nice LCD hat and then look to build a custom complimentary PCB that connects via the header/USB port, having your keyboard iterations. Initially you could 3D print the case too. This would give you something feasible to work on top of.

You could then eventually build out your own baseboard with the keyboard already added. If you drop the Ethernet, eMMC, IR, GPIO, camera and HDMI you would have a lot of space to work with.

Apologies for the late reply.  Thank you very kindly for the suggestions.

Question #1: Is the baseboard + 3g/4g addon module the same as the Pinephone?  Meaning, will the various os options work out of the box and allow for data connections over 3g/4g/whatever is currently becoming available?

If the answer is no, yeah, I mean that is an option and the Raspberry Pi people have all the modules available as well.  Like you, I am looking to get access to the existing software stack  + a known working hardware design hence my attention focusing in on the Pinephone.  I do like the Lipo support on the Pine64 baseboard but I really just want an existing reference design that is ready to go.

Question #2: Let's assume the Pinephone case is thrown away, are any screens actually compatible with the design?  If I wanted to source a screen compatible with the Pine64, what might I be searching for?  Any suggestions for vendors?

Quote:I am working towards a PDA, a process I have so far documented here: https://coffeespace.org.uk/projects/linu...art-3.html

It's based on an ESP32. I did look at adapting the PineCube, but it was too much of a pain. I am currently looking to avoid having to deal with hardware as I don't have time for it - and want something working out of the box to develop useful software. It might end up being useful for the PineDio project.

Okay, this is a very cool project.  Greatly appreciate you documenting it, I am very interested in following your progress.  As for my keyboard question, I mostly expect it to fail for the reasons that you are pointing at.  It is mostly a compulsion that I cannot get rid of and I will need to try all the available switches.  I have looked at all the options and most of them look awful honestly, they all look like they will tire my fingers if used for anything but the bare minimum usecase.  There are a few people that have built their own keyboards, here is probably the most talented and most reasonable approach of the bunch:

https://www.tindie.com/products/bobriciu...-keyboard/

That engineer has made quite a few permutations of various keyboard layouts + even screens for gameboy like devices and such.  Bobricius is quite talented and has made some very beautiful designs, I just have to try and make something like that my self.

If anyone has information on HOW to look for or choose a screen that would be compatible with the Pine64 I am really interested in learning what options might be available if any. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(12-15-2021, 02:51 PM)ypd Wrote: You might have seen where user mil was working on something sort of similar where his plan was not to use the bottom of the existing display.

Thank you very kindly for the link!  No, I actually searched this forum and on google and totally missed that.  This helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays. - by holycow - 12-26-2021, 02:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,925 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  Replace/Solder USB-C port on Pinephone magdesign 4 3,899 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  speaker replace and no screen mascarade01 2 3,045 03-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: mascarade01