Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays.
HI guys.

I searched the forums, online and youtube and I am not finding any guidance on what might be plausibly doable for my use case.  I hope it is okay to ask these questions here, if not please let me know and I will hapily more or remove the post.

PROJECT:  I am looking to hack up an old used Pinephone and replace the LCD display panel with a smaller square'ish sized one.  Something similar to attaching a Waveshare panel to a Raspberry pi, as per example:  https://www.waveshare.com/product/2.8inch-dpi-lcd.htm

REASON: I want to re-purpose the guts of the Pinephone project + software, change the display to a lower resolution panel and then try to figure out how to build a hardware keyboard in a new form factor.

Building a usb thumb keyboard is straight forward, I would like to now enter into dremel hell and see what can be done playing around with form factors and hardware hopefully without having to write drivers and just letting the onboard gpu do the driving at whatever resolution is supported by an appropriately "compatible" panel display.

Questions:

1)  Can anyone with an understanding of hardware comment on the plausibility of find and using lcd panels with the Pinephone?  Is it doable at all? 

2) If theoretically doable, what is the likelyhood of a display panel existing that is compatible with the Pinephone in various form factors such as the ones available via vendors like Waveshare?

3) If it is unlikely that a drop in compatible panels exist for the Pinephone, what might the reverse engineering of getting one to work with a Pinephone look like?  Only a brief description is necessary, I can google the rest of the information.

Any information would be helpful.  I don't need an end to end explanation, just enough to google up the rest of information and get going.

Thank you kindly.

Messages In This Thread
Hacking project: Replace lcd with third party displays. - by holycow - 12-11-2021, 12:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,833 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  Replace/Solder USB-C port on Pinephone magdesign 4 3,880 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  speaker replace and no screen mascarade01 2 3,029 03-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: mascarade01