Cdma?
I have been going nuts trying to find a carrier.  Has anyone found one in the state's that works.
(09-14-2021, 09:11 PM)rvh Wrote: I have been going nuts trying to find a carrier.  Has anyone found one in the state's that works.

Folks have not had much luck with Verizon, 
 However the GSM carriers,  AT&T and Tmobile and their discount resellers have been working for a lot/or most Pine phone users in the US.

Check the thread   'sim cards and carriers discussion'
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
O.K. folks. This is a big deal. As far as I can tell, there is no cdma carrier that will accept a pinephone. It seems deliberate to me. So for now if you need cdma, your daily driver pinephone, just became a door stop. So now what?
EG-25 modem does not support 2G CDMA. https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ifications

(WCDMA is a 3G GSM technology)
(09-15-2021, 05:26 PM)rvh Wrote: O.K. folks. This is a big deal. As far as I can tell, there is no cdma carrier that will accept  a pinephone. It seems deliberate to me. So for now if you need cdma, your daily driver pinephone, just became a door stop. So now what?

If you live in an area that only has CDMA (most likely very rural), then yes, the Pinephone is a door stop for now. However, all U.S. carriers are rolling out VoLTE and discontinuing CDMA and GSM service, which renders CDMA vs. GSM moot. CDMA and GSM will be dead as a dodo bird by the end of next year.

Many Pinephone users have reported that Verizon works. I've never tried Verizon on the Pinephone but reportedly it is necessary to activate a Verizon SIM card on another phone and then move it to your Pinephone. Thats what I always do anyway.

I advise checking the same thread that bcnaz suggested.
(09-15-2021, 05:26 PM)rvh Wrote: O.K. folks. This is a big deal. As far as I can tell, there is no cdma carrier that will accept  a pinephone. It seems deliberate to me. So for now if you need cdma, your daily driver pinephone, just became a door stop. So now what?

I have an old crazy idea, how sci-fi is the possibility of people with fiber at home to setup a 3g/4g antenna and create a sort of community carrier? Something mixed with IEEE 802.22 and IEEE 802.11af
When I first got my phone I just took the sim card out of my old phone, put it in the pp and it worked. Now no. Called verzon and gave them the imei off my Samsung phone and they said thephone was to old to register. What!
I did read the threads mentioned above. Now it seems using an imei off a cheapo phone won't work either. So unless some one gets lucky and finds a carrier that works. I'm just up a creek.
(09-16-2021, 01:27 PM)rvh Wrote: When I first got my phone I just took the sim card out of my old phone, put it in the pp and it worked. Now no. Called verzon and gave them the imei off my Samsung phone and they said thephone was to old to register. What!
I did read the threads mentioned above. Now it seems using an imei off a cheapo phone won't work either. So unless some one gets lucky and finds a carrier that works. I'm just up a creek.

Just my "Personal Opinion"  :

I think it is Politics,  not Technology preventing you from using Verizon.

Some forum members have got their Pine phones working for minutes, days or weeks on Verizon,  but ultimately Verizon shuts them down.

This shows:   "It is Possible"   for the Pine phone   'to work on cdma'  ...  Just NOT ALLOWED by Verizon.

Meanwhile thousands of people around the world are using GSM carriers with mostly good results, including here in the US...

I have personally tested at least 10 different  'resellers'  here in the southwestern U.S. that are easy to set-up and use.
.... > These were all based on AT&T and Tmobile as the underlying GSM carriers.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
There is a procedure for activating an EG-25 device on Verizon. No idea if an individual can do this.

https://forums.quectel.com/t/eg25-g-on-verizon/3528

https://forums.quectel.com/uploads/short...5VZLB7.pdf
(09-16-2021, 02:24 PM)bcnaz Wrote: This shows:   "It is Possible"   for the Pine phone   'to work on cdma'  ...  Just NOT ALLOWED by Verizon.

I agree that it's "political" or rather industry racketeering.

However, as I think you already know but to clarify for others here, the Pinphone doesn't work at all with CDMA. If a Pinephone is working on Verizon, it's working on digital LTE bands (VoLTE for voice, specifically). There is no CDMA involved!

Also, don't assume that a "GSM carrier" ("GSM" and "CDMA" is rapidly becoming extinct) will always be a better choice everywhere, because not all of the GSM bands used by any given "GSM" carrier" are supported by the Pinephone. That is the case for one of rural AT&T bands where I live. If a Pinephone user can get onto the Verizon network via an MVNO or via a roaming agreement, like the small, non-MVNO Inland Cellular "CDMA" carrier where I live, then it will probably prove to be a good solution.

The problem with Inland is, unlike its partner Verizon, Inland does not yet support VoLTE. When it does (presumably by the end of next year), I look forward to becoming an Inland customer. Their storefront technician was very helpful and interested in helping me to get my Pinephone working on Inland when I tested the Inland service.