PinePhone as DIY SIP Gateway
Hi!
Today I thought of using my PinePhone as a SIP-Gateway. It might be an interesting usage of a PP.

I assume the AT-Commands are only used for commands and the high-bandwidth-stuff goes through another communication channel? What protocol is used for voice? Do you know existing OpenSource Software which could connect a EG25-G (or other modules) to SIP?

To be totally honest, I think the project will fail due to my time management, but still I am interested in gathering first information, maybe also for someone else who wants to continue it ...

Thanks!
Thomas
(08-21-2021, 05:57 AM)Thoams131 Wrote: Hi!
Today I thought of using my PinePhone as a SIP-Gateway. It might be an interesting usage of a PP.

I assume the AT-Commands are only used for commands and the high-bandwidth-stuff goes through another communication channel? What protocol is used for voice? Do you know existing OpenSource Software which could connect a EG25-G (or other modules) to SIP?

To be totally honest, I think the project will fail due to my time management, but still I am interested in gathering first information, maybe also for someone else who wants to continue it ...

Thanks!
Thomas

There are SIP clients available, but none that work well yet - Twinkle, Linphone, etc. None have been optimized for mobile.
Hi!

I thought of a SIP Gateway, not a SIP-Client. Same Question here - sadly no good answer yet and some valuable comments are deleted

Seems like Asterisk is a commonly used Server-Software and there are some drivers for eg. Huawei Surfsticks available. So the only task would probably be to write a Module for the Baseband.

I think I currently won't have the time to make it, still some valuable input for someone else who considers doing it. (maybe my future self)

Best Regards!
Thomas
It used to be possible on the OpenMoko with asterisk. Have a look at chan-quectel which is targeting similar quectel modem modules, and seems a fair starting point:
https://github.com/t4rd15/asterisk-chan-quectel
The trick will probably be sorting out the audio routing/configuration - Megous has the best description I've seen of how the routing works, or at least can work - I'm not sure if the distros are all doing it the same way.
https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/audio-pp.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 534 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 337 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 227 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,845 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,772 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 597 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,332 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 489 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,671 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,932 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma