How do you copy and paste into mobian terminal? Do you ssh instead?
I'm learning some linux.. But how do you copy and paste into the mobian terminal? Commands you read on the phone.. Or do most on here ssh into the phone and fix stuff from the computer instead of typing in long commands on the screen? Thanks
(05-31-2021, 11:17 AM)temp0rary Wrote: I'm learning some linux.. But how do you copy and paste into the mobian terminal? Commands you read on the phone.. Or do most on here ssh into the phone and fix stuff from the computer instead of typing in long commands on the screen? Thanks
Usually the keyboard shortcut to copy from/paste into a linux terminal is Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V, respectively. On squeekboard at least (the default keyboard in Phosh) this doesn't work though. I'm using Manjaro which has a different terminal preinstalled than Mobian, but there I can tap and hold and then a box will pop up where I can choose to select all (and afterwards adjust the selection) or paste. Maybe that works also in King's Cross (Mobian's default terminal). Doing stuff via SSH is definitely more comfortable though.
(05-31-2021, 11:40 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 11:17 AM)temp0rary Wrote: I'm learning some linux.. But how do you copy and paste into the mobian terminal? Commands you read on the phone.. Or do most on here ssh into the phone and fix stuff from the computer instead of typing in long commands on the screen? Thanks
Usually the keyboard shortcut to copy from/paste into a linux terminal is Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V, respectively. On squeekboard at least (the default keyboard in Phosh) this doesn't work though. I'm using Manjaro which has a different terminal preinstalled than Mobian, but there I can tap and hold and then a box will pop up where I can choose to select all (and afterwards adjust the selection) or paste. Maybe that works also in King's Cross (Mobian's default terminal). Doing stuff via SSH is definitely more comfortable though.

Thanks.. I'm gonna try that.. Yeah, i might ssh instead later on.. Much more comfortable. Wink I could not get Ctrl+Shift+V to work now, but gonna try some more.. I must be doing it wrong
Quote:Or do most on here ssh into the phone and fix stuff from the computer instead of typing in long commands on the screen? Thanks

Recently I used the docking bar to migrate my contacts from the OS on the microSD to the OS on the eMMC. It was a breeze. (I didn't try hard enough to migrate some SMS messages, but I guess it should be easy too)

Extracting the data (by writing a simple SQL query) through ssh would work, but it was far much easier to paste it directly into the GUI application than to manually verify that my SQL insertion query would work correctly.

So, there are those use cases... But I'm waiting for the physical keyboard to see if it would make more sense to use it for such tasks. Smile
Mostly use ssh. But in terminal sometimes long press will bring up the copy/paste "iconography". I can never copy from the terminal but can usually paste this way. Otherwise ctl v often works as well: there was a mention on this forum recently about the different clipboards in the context (IIRC) of one of the applications (?squeekboard?) doing it wrong.

I presume you have found the extended bits of squeekboard? Start by selecting terminal from the options on the "world" icon at bottom left. Then try ">_" key as well for function keys, tab etc
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I use ssh whenever possible, it's a lot easier overall than using the soft keyboard on the phone. I also have a small bluetooth keyboard that works pretty well. It has all the control keys but is not really suitable for doing much typing due to its size. At times I've used the dock to attach a full-sized keyboard and mouse but that's pretty awkward. Another method is using wayvnc to remote into the phone's GUI from a desktop or laptop PC with full mouse and keyboard control.
Thanks for your answers... Do you know how to fix the sms app in debian? If you write some text or paste it goes outside of the screen. How can i focus it? Or apps that goes outside of the screen? Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 7 6 hours ago
Last Post: penguins_rule
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 14 1,347 03-14-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Faded
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,610 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,633 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 569 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,471 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,791 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 568 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,828 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 159,021 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy