Best way to manage multiple OS installations (backup, flash)
I know there are a number of threads addressing issues similar to this, but this request is specific: 

I have spent a lot of time with Mobian, and gotten it as close to my liking as possible, but I am not ready to use it as a daily driver. I would like to back up my Mobian installation and then maybe try UbPorts again. If I don't find it useable I will switch to Graphene for now.

But, in a couple months, maybe I will boot my Mobian installation again, run some updates, and see how it handles. Of course, I don't want to lose my GrapheneOS installation in case I need to switch back. 

So how to manage multiple installations? Should I just use dd?
(02-05-2021, 11:32 PM)3x5co Wrote: I know there are a number of threads addressing issues similar to this, but this request is specific: 

I have spent a lot of time with Mobian, and gotten it as close to my liking as possible, but I am not ready to use it as a daily driver. I would like to back up my Mobian installation and then maybe try UbPorts again. If I don't find it useable I will switch to Graphene for now.

But, in a couple months, maybe I will boot my Mobian installation again, run some updates, and see how it handles. Of course, I don't want to lose my GrapheneOS installation in case I need to switch back. 

You could make a backup of the entire sd card (or EMMC with jumpdrive) to your computer. Gnome Disks works well for this. Depending on the size of your sd, this may not be ideal and would take a long time. You could also have one OS on the EMMC (secondary) and one on the sdcard (primary) (this is what I do), then if you ever want to use the secondary OS you just power off, pull the sd out and reboot. Or the 3rd option use multiple sd cards and install one OS on each card and swap them out as needed.
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
(02-05-2021, 11:32 PM)3x5co Wrote: I know there are a number of threads addressing issues similar to this, but this request is specific: 

Balena etcher, probably the program you are using to make your drives has an option to clone a drive. I haven't tried it yet on the Pine phone, but couldn't you clone the EMMC to a SD card and back again?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,945 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  how to backup user data? Uturn 1 614 08-30-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Is it normal for the pinephone to "discharge" after fully charged on multiple OS? Shad190 2 872 05-10-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Shad190
  This is how you flash to eMMC easily Luke 49 79,284 12-25-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: fxc
  UI crashes after unplugging USB device, seen on multiple OSes; is my hardware broken? slondr 1 904 11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: slondr
  Tow Boot - How to Flash a New OS? arkadione 3 2,643 06-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Last Post: kmsgli
  no emmc after flash ragele 3 2,122 05-30-2022, 04:26 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot Create Profile - Cannot even Flash OS absolutenoob 6 5,171 12-17-2021, 03:52 AM
Last Post: guenther
  How to backup Contacts in Gnome / Posh ? gab 2 2,817 06-27-2021, 07:35 AM
Last Post: gab
  Multiple issues with new phone GlockG20 7 7,197 06-20-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: 33YN2