Flip phone, low power, long battery life
Hi!  I have a Pinetab, RockPro64, and Pinephone.  Love them all.

The Pinephone is big, and burns hard on its battery (even w. CRUST).  Please consider a flip phone with a battery-sipping processor (MAX32660, STM32L151C6, etc.) very modest RAM/flash, lightweight screen (like Nokia 8110).  Still open source, but probably not Linux--certainly not Phosh or friends!  But capable of running for days, or weeks, or months.  Thin software stack, maybe based on ChiBIOS or such?

You already have one commenter here looking for a sub-Smarthphone.  This is my take on the idea!

TIA
(01-14-2021, 08:37 PM)vandys Wrote: The Pinephone is big, and burns hard on its battery (even w. CRUST).
Try full software update through the Software app.
I applied them multiple times, and battery has improved by a lot since then.
Still not on the same level as a Android of iOS phones, but probably double of what it used to be.

I have a suspicion that you're meaning something like this:
[Image: image0.jpg][Image: image1.jpg]
[Image: image2.jpg][Image: image3.jpg]
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
There are such phones, running KaiOS (or the fully open-source version of it GerdaOS). KaiOS is a fork of FirefoxOS modified to run on so called smart feature phones.

I have one of these and they are quite ok, but the open-source software ecosystem isn't very active, thus I don't think it would be a good fit for Pine64 who depend on the community to develop the software.
@ original post
i tend to think it might not be good idea at this time, however i don't know what future holds.

you didn't specify price for this product. i have feeling it might be too expensive to be useful. battery life for weeks sounds little bit too optimistic.

for development of this product, developing something totally new might be a big task. kde plasma mobile and phosh might be too heavy for this. however, if pinephone gets something lighter, it can be useful for this idea though.
@vandys For these reason I hope to hear more about the PineCom project soon - I hope to build a small lightweight WiFi phone out of it.
(01-15-2021, 09:07 AM)zetabeta Wrote: @ original post
i tend to think it might not be good idea at this time, however i don't know what future holds.

you didn't specify price for this product. i have feeling it might be too expensive to be useful. battery life for weeks sounds little bit too optimistic.

for development of this product, developing something totally new might be a big task. kde plasma mobile and phosh might be too heavy for this. however, if pinephone gets something lighter, it can be useful for this idea though.
The battery of the flip phone I photographed a few posts above can easily last an entire month without charging (assuming you leave it mostly on idle).
Flip phones nowadays run off a degoogled Android OS, so it's possible to install Android apps on them via adb (like I showed on the 2nd photo).

The 10-key keyboard doubles as a trackpad with a cursor on-screen by the way, you need to slide over it without pressing anything.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Thank you for your ideas! I have an 8110 w. GerdaOS. Big, monolithic, clunky OS. sxmo w. PostmarketOS is closer, but even smaller and easier to hack would be nice. Price is not a big deal, $100 or $200 even would be OK. Not $600 or $1200!
(01-15-2021, 10:23 AM)ryo Wrote: The battery of the flip phone I photographed a few posts above can easily last an entire month without charging (assuming you leave it mostly on idle).
Flip phones nowadays run off a degoogled Android OS, so it's possible to install Android apps on them via adb (like I showed on the 2nd photo).
i don't doubt you're claim on degoogled android on battery life. if device is only available on android, i'm not interested. i don't trust android anymore, even with degoogled version it's still google's project.

btw, i still have one degoogled modified android, because of its big battery it can last for week, roughly saying.
(01-15-2021, 10:07 PM)zetabeta Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 10:23 AM)ryo Wrote: The battery of the flip phone I photographed a few posts above can easily last an entire month without charging (assuming you leave it mostly on idle).
i don't doubt you're claim on degoogled android on battery life. if device is only available on android, i'm not interested. i don't trust android anymore, even with degoogled version it's still google's project.

btw, i still have one degoogled modified android, because of its big battery it can last for week, roughly saying.
I just said that flip phones nowadays run on a degoogled Android OS, it doesn't mean that's the reason why the battery can last a month.
I think the reason is rather because the Android that runs on flip phones can use only 1 app at a time, and there are no background processes other than network (3G, 4G, LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth), phone and email notifications, alarm clock, and system update notification.

Which on one hand is inconvenient, because if I'd use a chat app like LINE or Discord on it, I have no idea whenever somebody talks to me (and in the case of LINE, called to me) until I explicitly open the app.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 403 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588 Zotax 6 4,124 09-28-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: faultyforelimb
  [Article] Star64 JH7110: Power Up the Display Controller with U-Boot Bootloader lupyuen 0 623 09-02-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Pine Desktop PowerSupply wont power on BSharp 5 1,635 08-29-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: chickenplusone
  power/battery usage on risc-v vs arm64? zetabeta 1 692 08-28-2023, 01:23 AM
Last Post: alphonso
  Link USB power strips for a cluster? DevonBirch 4 3,299 08-10-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: halibutdreary
  Plans for higher Power PinePowers PMARC14 0 499 07-14-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: PMARC14
  The power of the Star64 vs Pinebook Pro/RockPro64 Starfall 1 1,077 04-17-2023, 05:00 AM
Last Post: lkoini
  Possible Uninterruptible power supply for Pine64's SBC's GreyLinux 10 4,956 02-11-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: ToryRutter
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,658 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311