Kernel update failing issues
So I followed here what they mentioned 

https://youtu.be/FD67UPVFouM?t=562

Settings > Update > Update Settings then select the latest kernel.

After about 20, or so tries,  was finally downloaded.

Now to install, it needs you to press the "Install" button, and then a popup comes saying

"The device needs to restart to install the system update"
"Restart & Install"
"Cancel"

I press and "Restart & Install" and the popup disappears. I have also tried manually restarting, but getting nothing.
I hate to give a non-answer but I find UBPorts on Pinephone is still too alpha to diagnose individual issues that arise. The number of times that I've wiped my SD card to resolve quirks is pretty high.

Even with this in mind, I've also been experiencing a lot of sluggishness when changing the channel over to 'kernelupgrade'. I also have to regularly close setting and reopen them to see download progress of a new update. It is still downloading in the background when I close settings but it's pretty rough around the edges. Most of the times I've run a 'Restart and install,' the phone will boot to the PINE64 splash screen and takes a hard power-off/power-on to get to the operating system.
(01-06-2021, 07:20 PM)KNERD Wrote: I press and "Restart & Install" and the popup disappears. I have also tried manually restarting, but getting nothing.

The developers are aware of this. Please hold the volume up button while restarting until the LED cycled through all the colours.

This will install the update, but the restart will fail again, stopping at the Pinephone logo. Just hold the power button until the phone is off and then restart.
(01-07-2021, 10:45 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 07:20 PM)KNERD Wrote: I press and "Restart & Install" and the popup disappears. I have also tried manually restarting, but getting nothing.

The developers are aware of this. Please hold the volume up button while restarting until the LED cycled through all the colours.

This will install the update, but the restart will fail again, stopping at the Pinephone logo. Just hold the power button until the phone is off and then restart.

Thanks for the response, but that is not working out. WHen I do that , I get a screen with the UBports mascot with "Awaiting Command" above it.

(01-06-2021, 08:33 PM)Korac Wrote: I hate to give a non-answer but I find UBPorts on Pinephone is still too alpha to diagnose individual issues that arise. The number of times that I've wiped my SD card to resolve quirks is pretty high.

Even with this in mind, I've also been experiencing a lot of sluggishness when changing the channel over to 'kernelupgrade'. I also have to regularly close setting and reopen them to see download progress of a new update. It is still downloading in the background when I close settings but it's pretty rough around the edges. Most of the times I've run a 'Restart and install,' the phone will boot to the PINE64 splash screen and takes a hard power-off/power-on to get to the operating system.

I am hoping to not have to redo an install of a setup, but looks like I may have to,
Quote:Thanks for the response, but that is not working out. WHen I do that , I get a screen with the UBports mascot with "Awaiting Command" above it.

If you have successfully downloaded the update, which currently comes in at something like 300MB, it should install that. If there is no update waiting, you get the "awaiting command"

BTW, I find the app "Active Screen" very helpful, because it stops the phone from going to sleep during a long download.
Well, it's downloaded and as I mentioned before the "Install" button is there with the popup of saying it needs to restart to complete installation of the update. Not more I can do about that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  How to find out about package versions on different update channels? kqlnut 0 1,609 08-30-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: kqlnut
  What does an OTA Update look like lsitongia 0 1,498 08-24-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: lsitongia
Sad Help! - Screen blank after update. Zweitaktmotor 4 4,332 07-26-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Zweitaktmotor
  Update Channels & Kernel Version mark1250 2 3,079 03-20-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mark1250
  Kernel Update Channel Zweitaktmotor 2 3,666 01-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Korac
  Any timeline for kernel 5.8? Djhg2000 3 5,202 10-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Last Post: teknoman117
  Update process getting more buggy. Cree 0 1,826 08-26-2020, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Cree
  Update Python and get gcc? sunnystormy 2 3,447 08-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post: sunnystormy
  Tutorial for new UBPorts CE users / list of known issues? ThatGeoGuy 2 4,658 07-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: natasha