Which of the leading OSes is most ready for daily driver?
Mobian
58.06%
Manjaro
12.90%
Arch
29.03%
31 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Current state of the art OS comparison
(12-19-2020, 09:28 PM)Cree Wrote:
Mobian
My banker. This was for sure the first release to be genuinely PinePhone specific as just about any others are concerned with an installed base of non-PinePhones which I figure has to compromise progress for the PP. Unlike @lat I have yet to get the flashlight working from the status bar but like @lat I have a list of applications that I immediately remove after any new installation - geary (I am using evolution), fractal (not using, am using telegram), the games and gnome-software (which I find exceeding irksome with its checks for updates which I don't need - I am happy with apt). All of which I realise is purely preference and certainly need to be read in the context that this is my first, and still preferred, starting point.

(12-19-2020, 09:28 PM)Cree Wrote:
Manjaro
Never tried it on PP (Did try it once on my RockPro64 and could not get it to boot properly so moved on.)

(12-19-2020, 09:28 PM)Cree Wrote: Arch
Do love the bleeding edge - 5.10 kernel already, proper firefox rather than -ESR, telegram v2.4.7 that supports voice & video calling. Sadly for me not yet on PP - can't get my front camera functioning at the moment on any release. Did help me debug that my intermittent PP speaker was a loose connection though. The downside (with the bleeding edge, possibly) is I have a current problem with mp3 playback that means I have to download and play podcasts with mpv as lollypop can't cope.

Mobian is the release that meant I could leave my Android at home, Arch is exciting.

Overall my humble opinion is worried about phosh: so far it seems to be the easiest PP functional environment to deploy. For sure it deserves kudos for chatty and calls. But when a simple alternative emerges (I have played with Openbox and LXDE a bit on my PP but don't have enough time to get it all right - I suspect something Wayland based will be easier to slot into Mobian or Arch?) I will not be sorry to say farewell. Again hard to moan if Purism are focused on Librem rather than PP, even though arguably there are more PP running it?
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Messages In This Thread
Current state of the art OS comparison - by Cree - 12-19-2020, 09:28 PM
RE: Current state of the art OS comparison - by dukla2000 - 12-20-2020, 03:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best current OS Cree 4 8,595 07-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Last Post: hiimtye