Best current OS
Would it be possible for some of the community members who are actively testing the latest iterations of each OS to actively post their opinions here as to the best current OS at any present time. Rather than listing all the features of each, a simple updated live vote or ranked order of OS based solely on Functionality, stability and Maturity.
The objective being to give other members a solid chance at running a daily driver at any point. I for one wouldn't mind switching OS every few months when one surpasses another if the phone ultimately works better, so lets focus on current specs as opposed to potential.
Anecdotally, Mobian appears popular in the community, especially as they include Purism's patches for application scaling in phoc.

A 'live poll' of sorts would be good for appraising usefulness, though it could just as easily devolve into a popularity contest.

I believe that Ubports, PostmarketOS and Mobian will be the top three operating systems for some time.
I've found ArchARM to be the most reliable, although I haven't tested Mobian (truthfully, I prefer pacman, and leaving the system open as a Linux OS rather than locked down like Android). UBPorts had constant troubles with wifi, and none of the web apps worked. in ArchARM I can just make a web app from within the default browser and it works perfectly. I've gotten the camera somewhat functional, and the updates seem to follow closely to the progress in Mobian. we can only blame Danct12 for the quick progress.

what I don't understand is why no base Linux OS handles the screen orientation very well by default. in every window manager and desktop environment, windows are resized according to the user's needs, but for some reason on a phone display, they display off screen and poorly.
(07-24-2020, 05:01 PM)hiimtye Wrote: I've found ArchARM to be the most reliable, although I haven't tested Mobian (truthfully, I prefer pacman, and leaving the system open as a Linux OS rather than locked down like Android). UBPorts had constant troubles with wifi, and none of the web apps worked. in ArchARM I can just make a web app from within the default browser and it works perfectly. I've gotten the camera somewhat functional, and the updates seem to follow closely to the progress in Mobian. we can only blame Danct12 for the quick progress.

what I don't understand is why no base Linux OS handles the screen orientation very well by default. in every window manager and desktop environment, windows are resized according to the user's needs, but for some reason on a phone display, they display off screen and poorly.
Orientation works properly in UTouch, Lune and Sailfish. All three of those have very developed GUI front ends. I love Mobian but I do wish they would add auto-rotate
you misunderstand me. you can rotate the screen in ArchARM. I'm talking about Linux apps that don't seem to handle the shape of the phone screen for some reason. they draw off screen, rather than resizing properly according to the size of the screen. this isn't the case in for instance a tiling window manager like Openbox or i3wm

the fix was to set screen scaling to 1: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Phosh#Screen_Scaling
apparently everything twice as large is impossible for apps to render properly.

edit: 1.5 seems to be the best blend of form and function

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current state of the art OS comparison Cree 11 9,720 12-31-2020, 05:20 AM
Last Post: dukla2000