Safest way to send shutdown signal to headless Rock64 SMB server?
I'm in the midst of setting up one of the extremely cheap but amazing deals on the Iconikal RK3328 boards recently sold on Amazon for 13 bucks, and I'm setting mine up as a tiny SMB server to host ISOs from an external HD to my Playstation 2.  I've been going back and forth between the idea of using OMV or just setting up a manual SMB share, but no matter which option I choose I still need a way to safely power down the device when it's not in use.  I know these boards have reset and power buttons on them, but considering the only case I could find for my board was a $6 AmeriDroid case, the power and reset buttons are extremely recessed.  I know you can hold the power button to kill power to the board, but if I fashion some sort of power button that reaches the onboard switch if I just press it once will that send the halt signals to the board and start the shutdown process?  This is my first SBC with a dedicated power button and I'm not used to having one handy, and since my main OS is stored on eMMC the last thing I want to do is to have to reprogram the module every time something craps up after being improperly shutdown.  Thanks.
Also, if this doesn't work which two pins could I wire with a momentary switch to engage shutdown mode?  I already have the spare switch and I could drill a 1/8" hole, mount the switch to the case, and wire it to the GPIO pins to enable safe shutdown mode to prevent any data corruption or eMMC corruption/loss.  I have a long PDF file about the SBC but it doesn't mention anything of a graceful shutdown method except through scripts and software-initiated shutdowns.  This gives me to plug in power to boot the board and when I'm done just press the button to shut it all down sans-loss/corruption.
Well, I don't have one, and don't know anything about it but I think you answered your own question. You'll need to pick a GPIO pin that's capable of being an input, and isn't already being used. Preferably one that can generate an interrupt. Then you need to write some software, probably as little as a script, to issue "sudo shutdown now" or whatever is appropriate for your operating system whenever that input changes state.
If you are OK doing this via Android RasPi Check works really well https://github.com/eidottermihi/rpicheck

Its what I use for those times when I'm not already ssh'd in and want to shutdown. It works better if you install my fake vcgencmd command which RasPiCheck uses to determine CPU speed and temperature.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 54 Today, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,391 Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,755 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 234 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,734 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,734 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,356 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,927 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 690 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 891 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267