What window manager do you recomend for lowering ram usage?
(11-21-2020, 11:32 AM)sunjam Wrote: Currently on Manjaro Arm Plasma, but I'd love to use something that is even lighter.  Suggestions?

In the past I enjoyed Openbox and Ratpoison.  Hear good things about i3, but haven't run it.

I find LXQt provides a good compromise in size and usability. It is even a bit 'lighter' that Xfce. You end up in the ~300-400MB at startup area.

You could even use KWin as window manager, which will use the OpenGL acceleration and allows for a bit more blink blink.
That gets you roughly to ~450MB at startup. As you have plasma already, you can just try it. The only thing is that the configuration is then splitt between LXQt and KDE for the wm settings. Still, works well.

You can get much lower with a tiling window manager like e.g. i3, awesome-wm, spectrwm or sway but you loose also a bit of out of the box functionality.

Also interesting is wayfire for Wayland. Like Sway there is still a lot of active development around the wm and Wayland itseelf, but I find it quite pleasant already.

Messages In This Thread
RE: mWhat window manager do you recomend for lowering ram usage? - by Surehand53 - 11-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trouble switching window managers junefish 0 1,002 01-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: junefish
  XFCE Window Tiling Telefza 2 4,589 12-04-2020, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Telefza
  Network Manager on Deb Atton 5 5,557 12-10-2019, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Atton