Pine phone eMMC read speeds ?
From what I have read so far the 16gb eMMC  read speed is a bit faster,   than the 32gb eMMC read speed

1) Will this give noticeable difference to performance in normal phone use ?
     is the eMMC speed listed the maximum for that device     
         or a product of its interaction with the phone hardware.?

2) I also read the phones board firmware can possibly be tweaked in the future to give the board the ability to to give faster 'read' speeds.
     Is this likely to happen soon...?    
       Will 'users' notice a big difference at that time..?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-14-2020, 11:32 PM)bcnaz Wrote: From what I have read so far the 16gb eMMC  read speed is a bit faster,   than the 32gb eMMC read speed

1) Will this give noticeable difference to performance in normal phone use ?
     is the eMMC speed listed the maximum for that device     
         or a product of its interaction with the phone hardware.?

2) I also read the phones board firmware can possibly be tweaked in the future to give the board the ability to to give faster 'read' speeds.
     Is this likely to happen soon...?    
       Will 'users' notice a big difference at that time..?
1) Never heard of this and if proven to be considerable I would say that this is a defective design. It depends on the eMMC chips used and the clock frequency set.

2) It is sometimes possible to overclock but I would try such tricks only on a system with stable software, which for the PinePhone will not be the case for quite some time. In general the speedups resulting are not worth the effort and risk of instability.

When you need a more powerful system you must chose a more powerful CPU and more RAM.
The post referred to, was by a prominent, respected forum member, and developer,
he posted and discussed the Pine phones mainboard read speeds, among other things.

"Your Opinions" are NOT FACTS.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
A link to the post referred to would be useful.
From the Kimtigo datasheet the 32G appears faster than the 16G. I know my BraveHeart definately has a Kimtigo chip; I too saw the mention that the 32G PinePhone was slower than the 16G so presume it has something other than Kimtigo?
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Speeds were listed in a Megi post
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
https://imgur.com/a/9CeaHhu

57mb/s
Ok,   here is the link
        https://xnux.eu/devices/pine64-pinephone.html

85-88 MiB/s  for the 16gb eMMC
65 MiB/s  for the 32gb eMMC
and 23 MiB/s read speed for the sd card.
(11-17-2020, 03:49 AM)Trbl Wrote: https://imgur.com/a/9CeaHhu

57mb/s
Thanks for the image. The cached value is of no real use because it does mangle RAM speeds.

My "hdparm -t" value is 58 MB/s which corresponds to the value given by the chip manufacturer.

(11-15-2020, 08:23 PM)bcnaz Wrote: The post referred to,  was by a prominent, respected forum member, and developer,
he posted and discussed the Pine phones mainboard read speeds, among other things.

"Your Opinions" are NOT FACTS.
Sorry, but these were not 'opinions' but technical arguments. So your personal attack once more goes to nirvana Tongue 

You need not to continue reading:

1) It depends on the eMMC chips used and the clock frequency set.

The chip used in PinPhone is said to be KM110SS1064GxA-DDD 00WT and the difference between the 64G and 32G variant are not huge: 155 vs. 140MB/s

However I do see quite a discrepancy between those values and the value resulting from "hdparm -t".

2) It is sometimes possible to overclock but I would try such tricks only on a system with stable software, which for the PinePhone will not be the case for quite some time. In general the speedups resulting are not worth the effort and risk of instability.
(11-15-2020, 01:33 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: When you need a more powerful system you must chose a more powerful CPU and more RAM.

that depend on your definition of powerful system. the storage device is a bottleneck in system I/O performance. a faster flash will decrease boot and application laoding times. cpu and ram won't be able to help decrease loading times.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eMMC upgrade EuvzO8 5 1,419 11-08-2023, 11:58 PM
Last Post: brken
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,368 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 916 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  RAM corruption, possible eMMC corruption alnyan 3 1,621 08-24-2022, 03:07 AM
Last Post: JeremyWadsworth
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,180 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,546 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  Emmc yvan 1 1,314 07-07-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Chief
  kb151 2-0015: Charger read failed - MCU returned 0xff as365n4 5 2,673 06-08-2022, 10:41 AM
Last Post: as365n4