Opinions wanted : "Best out of the Box" OS at this time
(11-05-2020, 01:48 PM)amindfv Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 02:17 PM)bcnaz Wrote: For Me :

The sms text on Mobian has been working for a long time.

Yeah,  recently I need to fiddle with the sound settings to use voice calling.

What fiddling did you do to get voice calling to work? It used to work for me but now isn't anymore.

Also count me as another person whose SMS works 100% of the time (although I need to use jmms to clear my queue of MMS messages so SMS doesn't get clogged).

I toggle the switches in the sound settings, from phone to default, then back to phone.
 Although that has not been necessary on my Brave Heart recently, it just works now.  That phone is still using Mobian 
Nightly October o5 release.
**  I use Modem Manager to clear the MMS messages.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
My phone sound during a talk is like going back 50 years ago (I mean I imagine) low quality sound, metalic sound, with some eco... I felt that I was going to lose connection at any moment... how is your sound during a conversation?
Not perfect,  but I do talk to one of my sons,  twice a day for 30 to 40 minutes at a time,  he says he can hear me fine,  and I can hear him fine also.

My son only complained of an echo when I was using speaker phone,  but he was also on his speaker phone,  so that could have amplified the problem.

I do talk also to other family members,  just a whole lot with that one in particular.    I typically send and receive 20 to 50+ sms texts in a day.

When I call out to the bank or to merchants they have not complained.

That is using my Brave Heart phone, running Mobian nightly Oct. 05 release on an sd card.

I do also have 3 Post Market Convergence phones, and one Manjaro Convergence phone,  running various operating systems from sd cards.
Some of those have satisfactory results, but somewhat inconsistent,   as I do keep trying the most recent releases on those.
I have posted some of those results in other threads on the forum,  Mobian seems to give me the best results,  Arch would be my second pick at this time.
And Manjaro is sometimes usable,   a distant 3rd.

Carriers, the Brave Heart is running directly from AT&T prepaid,  one of the PMOS phones is using a T-Mobile NVMO (Simple Mobile) with weak results,
the rest are on various AT&T NVMO's (Pure Talk, TracFone) with pretty good carrier services.

Your results,  can,  and do  definitely vary,  it appears not just the operating system matters, but the carrier can make or break you also.

I noticed the current Arch release runs better on my Post Market phone than it does on my Manjaro phone... hmm  ?
      (One of their developers said it  "should run the same on both phones".)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-05-2020, 05:28 PM)natasha Wrote: My phone sound during a talk is like going back 50 years ago (I mean I imagine) low quality sound, metalic sound, with some eco... I felt that I was going to lose connection at any moment... how is your sound during a conversation?

@natasha 

Which operating system and which phone edition are you using ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-06-2020, 03:15 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 05:28 PM)natasha Wrote: My phone sound during a talk is like going back 50 years ago (I mean I imagine) low quality sound, metalic sound, with some eco... I felt that I was going to lose connection at any moment... how is your sound during a conversation?

@natasha 

Which operating system and which phone edition are you using ?
I am on Mobian using USBports edition.
I have varying results with the regular nightly builds using my Post Market and Manjaro phones.

But on my Brave Heart phone (my main) I am still using the October 05 release and it is pretty dependable.

a-wai  has said the next '"reference'" release will be soon,  I am really looking forward to that.
  ((a few days ago, he said "as long as a week"))
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Yesterday I played with almost all OS'es except of UBPorts.

I must say that Mobian nightly is the best for now in my opinion.
Dare I hope? Mobian October 5th, apt-get update/upgrade November 10, 2300UTC.

In 18 hours the phone has woken up perfectly every time and sound works very well. There is less than 15 seconds between the call initiation and the phone waking up. I have not booted since right after the update, I have tested sleep periods of 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 8.5 hours. USB connected or not makes no difference. Power notifications and information is much more reliable. All notifications are much more reliable. All SMS messages are received, the notification sound is very faint.

The one compromise? Turn WIFI off! I do not know why, but when sleeping and a call comes in the phone feels the need to open WIFI first. This delay is often (usually?) enough to cause a missed call.

If testing continues like this I have a daily driver!!!
Very impressive thank you

YMMV
LF
(11-02-2020, 02:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: November 02, 2020

Which Operating System do you think is best  "Out of the Box"  at this time ?

Talk w/quality, Text, Data, web surfing, videos, battery life ?

Mobian [ except for a virtual keyboard problem that has cropped up after 2 mos use]
@Lousy Fisherman - just don't update to November 11 nightly version. It breaks some functionalities and UI is sluggish.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: (Clickable) Call Graph for Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System lupyuen 0 1,105 03-04-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Video: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone lupyuen 0 1,278 02-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,641 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel
  Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted! kop316 201 184,811 03-24-2022, 03:16 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  First time pine phone user Matt73 3 2,491 03-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Matt73
  Response time generaluser 0 1,117 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: generaluser