Opinions wanted : "Best out of the Box" OS at this time
November 02, 2020

Which Operating System do you think is best  "Out of the Box"  at this time ?

Talk w/quality, Text, Data, web surfing, videos, battery life ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
As there is none where phoning, SMS etc. reliably work as expected, I can not understand why you ask this question at this moment?
Sxmo - Simple X Mobile
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9913

and

Mobian
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9850

I can't decide which is better, they both are too different.
From what I have noticed,    Arch runs fine on my Post Market phones,    but it keeps crashing on my Manjaro phone.
That seems weird,  so I have reflashed, and re-downloaded Arch several times,  and still get the same results ?

Manjaro/Phosh Beta 1 'runs' on the Manjaro phone,   Much better than the factory image,    but still not very well.

Mobian runs 'ok' on the Manjaro phone,   but I am still having the problem of needing to toggle the sound settings between calls.

I am still testing,  but I wanted to share where I am at,    at this time.
For now all my testing is using the sd cards,    no reason to install to the eMMC,      yet.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-03-2020, 01:03 PM)bcnaz Wrote: From what I have noticed,    Arch runs fine on my Post Market phones,    but it keeps crashing on my Manjaro phone.
That seems weird,  so I have reflashed, and re-downloaded Arch several times and get the same results ?
Looks like this problem: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832.
(11-03-2020, 08:01 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: As there is none where phoning, SMS etc. reliably work as expected, I can not understand why you ask this question at this moment?

Totally agree with you. As they are now, everything is in development; nothing is 100% functional.

Said that I am sticking with Mobian as I am sticking with Debian for my desktop pc. I like the phylosophy of being practical and efficient instead of colors, animations, and pretending to be iOS or who knows what.
(11-03-2020, 08:01 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote: As there is none where phoning, SMS etc. reliably work as expected, I can not understand why you ask this question at this moment?

This seems to vary by network. On mobian I am getting reliable calls and sms for at least the last month.
(11-03-2020, 09:37 PM)smallvictories Wrote:

This seems to vary by network. On mobian I am getting reliable calls and sms for at least the last month.
It depends not only on network.
Even with the same SIM card and the same binary image copied the result varies from one run to the next. This proves that the system is not stable at all.
For Me :

The sms text on Mobian has been working for a long time.

Yeah,  recently I need to fiddle with the sound settings to use voice calling.
( my Brave Heart is still doing fairly well, still running Oct 05 Mobian..)
(My testing of other OSes, is on my 3 PMOS phones and new Manjaro phone)

That is using multiple different MVNO's,  of the AT&T variations,  the T-Mobile not so much....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-04-2020, 02:17 PM)bcnaz Wrote: For Me :

The sms text on Mobian has been working for a long time.

Yeah,  recently I need to fiddle with the sound settings to use voice calling.

What fiddling did you do to get voice calling to work? It used to work for me but now isn't anymore.

Also count me as another person whose SMS works 100% of the time (although I need to use jmms to clear my queue of MMS messages so SMS doesn't get clogged).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: (Clickable) Call Graph for Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System lupyuen 0 1,059 03-04-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Video: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone lupyuen 0 1,228 02-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,521 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel
  Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted! kop316 201 180,332 03-24-2022, 03:16 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  First time pine phone user Matt73 3 2,375 03-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Matt73
  Response time generaluser 0 1,078 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: generaluser