Lets create the PineCom
Q: Do we need both a front and back camera on the PineCom? In fact, do we need any cameras at all?
A: I understand the security concern with having cameras, but they can be very useful for a lot of applications, so I think it's better if they stay.

Q: Should we bring over all sensors present on the PinePhone? If so, which do you think we can do without?
A: Yes

Q: Should we use the same single band/11n/BT4 WiFi module in the PinePhone (for compatibility sake) or change it out for a dual band/11ac/BT5?
A: Considering the device will be without a modem and rely on WiFi more than the Pinephone would, it makes sense to upgrade the WiFi module.

Q: Should the device feature a GPS (and compass) or are those features redundant in this type of device?
A: Those features are not redundant in a device like this. I'm sure many developers can find a use case for those features on a device like this.

Q: Should we include SPI flash?
A: Yes

Q: We are currently considering following the PinePhone’s general design and aesthetic for the PineCom, but if there is some sort of physical change(within reason - also financially) that you think would fit this type of device well then make sure to let us know.
A: Would love to see the power button and volume up and down buttons on different sides of the phone. Accidently press the wrong button when they are on the same side.

Q: We’re currently thinking of using a 5” LCD panel for the PineCom; what do you think about this - is there a reason to go bigger or smaller?
A: Well for cost it makes sense to go smaller. For use case, I think it would be nice if there were two sizes 5' and 6'. People can order the one that works best for them. I'm sure some people will try and use this a phone replacement.

-Braillynn
As far as power buttons on cell-phone like devices:

I've had them with power buttons on every side.  Unless they're recessed (and I wish they'd do this more often!) I find it utterly impossible to accidentally press them no matter where they are.

My latest phone is the worst.  Nothing like sitting in a meeting (since covid, the few I have to go to are even more solemn) after someone says "please be sure to turn your cellphones off" and having

BING BANG BING BING ZAP BWOWOWOW BING BONG BZZZ BZZZ BZZ

HELLO MOE TOW!!!!!

simply because I leaned back or forward or to the left or right.
(02-13-2021, 06:08 PM)barray Wrote: Given the disagreement about exactly what the device should/could be, I think it could be cool to have some space inside for a removable card (maybe a small M.2 for compatibility with the PineTab SDR). Also this would allow other people to easily develop/test their own hardware projects.

Agreed. I guess I didn't say it in this thread, but a couple of decent modules for different purposes would be a cool idea.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
@barray & @zer0sig I'd say that their should be 2 x M.2 slots, 1 x 2230 & perhaps one 2230/42. Then leave off any builtin WiFi & Bluetooth. Let the user decide which modules they use/buy. Pine64 could make a simplified M.2 2230 with WiFi & Bluetooth as a purchase option for those that don't need more, (and know that it was tested).

Unlike a cell-phone, this PineCom could be thicker, both to support M.2 cards and to have a bigger battery.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Would like to have GPS for sure.

I would buy instantly.
I would like it to never sell out.
Is stylus support and handwriting recognition worth trying for?
To be honest i don't really see any use-case for my need but the project sound cool Smile
The leak of USB-C alt make me a little sad.. convergence ability it for me a strongest feature of pinephone in my opinion.
(02-21-2021, 10:02 AM)Arwen Wrote: @barray & @zer0sig I'd say that their should be 2 x M.2 slots, 1 x 2230 & perhaps one 2230/42. Then leave off any builtin WiFi & Bluetooth. Let the user decide which modules they use/buy. Pine64 could make a simplified M.2 2230 with WiFi & Bluetooth as a purchase option for those that don't need more, (and know that it was tested).

Unlike a cell-phone, this PineCom could be thicker, both to support M.2 cards and to have a bigger battery.
@Arwen I definitely like this idea. Would be interested in being able to get different modules for different communication types or potentially an NVMe SSD.

Also wouldn't mind it being larger or thicker, especially if it improved expansion options or cost less to design. Honestly, something like a large blackberry would be pretty cool IMO, with a roughly phone-sized screen but a keyboard big enough to touch-type on. Of course, a sliding or flip-open keyboard could work but it'd be cool for it to have some clear differences from the phone which will already have a flip-open phone soon and making a slightly bigger keyboard designed for more use would be cool though I don't know how difficult or expensive a separate keyboard design would end up.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(10-09-2020, 10:49 PM)CharlieGordon Wrote: I really want a Linux mini-laptop with long battery life. The PinePhone is so far the closest thing to this dream.

Quote:Unlike the PinePhone however, the PineCom will not feature a modem but rather rely on WiFi, IoT LoRa and LoRaWan for communications. The device will also be smaller at (5” LCD panel or less)

These two are complete deal-breakers for me. That just means that I still need to carry a phone with me for connectivity, and if I need the phone anyway, why not use the phone's bigger screen? So essentially the PineCom becomes a very expensive keyboard.

Maybe I don't understand the target group for this device. Could you clarify that?

For me to be attractive it needs a modem (not necessarily the same as the PinePhone) and a ~7" screen.

absolutely ı agree Cool Cool Cool