call audio
The call audio is too bad to understand.  Broken mechanical static.  It is bad
for both incoming and outgoing calls.  I've tried the sound settings for the phone 
but nothing makes a difference.  Any clues?
(09-04-2020, 10:04 AM)qiset Wrote: The call audio is too bad to understand.  Broken mechanical static.  It is bad
for both incoming and outgoing calls.  I've tried the sound settings for the phone 
An update.  I connected to wifi and was able to hear youtube with no distortion.  
I tried a sim card from a cricket phone.  Later I tried a sim card from a freedom pop
phone.  The one from the freedom pop phone was recognized but it didn't work at all.  
Could it be that the card needs to be authorized to the phone in some fashion?
Companies are starting to switch over to VoLTE.

With that, some time ago, I put in a SIM card in a phone from a different carrier (unlocked). This was about three years ago before to VoLTE. I could make calls, and send text messages, but no data at all.

After calling the carrier, it turns out I had to go into the phone's SIM settings and add a Internet APN. They gave me the info I need to connect. With the addition of VoLTE, it is likely, nothing will function now unless you have Internet APN info entered.

Just speculation on my part.
(09-04-2020, 10:04 AM)qiset Wrote: The call audio is too bad to understand.  Broken mechanical static.  It is bad

I'm pretty sure the speaker at the top and the one at the back are seperate.

I just received my postmarket os 3gig model pinephone and all is well except the call audio is incomprehensible.

I haven't opened it up yet but thats about to happen... to see if I can notice anything obviously wrong with the speaker.

The rear speaker works for ring / music / website audio,  but making a call the top ear speaker outputs nothing but garbage.

Very static.  Sounds like the speak is blown, or maybe crushed.
@qiset
In the past I have simply used my AT&T prepaid sim card from my Google phone and I could talk & text.

A few days ago I bought a sim kit from the Dollar store and a prepaid Smartphone card, then followed the instructions.
I have talk, text & data... You do need to input the APN information to use data.

See the thread by @ThrillGates  for activation
There are several threads talking about carriers.

You did not mention which phone you have or which OS you are using...?
FreedomPop has always been VoLTE only. Well, for a while you could pay extra to use "normal" cellular calling, but I'm not sure if that's even an option anymore.

So.  The plot thickens.

There are two speakers in this phone, the one you heard youtube on is the rear speaker. The garbled one in calls is the ear speaker.

My phone has the same issue as yours, can place a call, but then the call audio on the pinephone is garbled, but the audio for the call is otherwise fine (the other phone recieves the call fine and the mic input is sent and its perfect)

So I have disassembled the phone and tested the earpiece speaker.    29Ohms which is fine. I then used it with some test leads to play headphone output and it was fine if not that loud but definitely audiable.  So thats a red herring to suspect the speaker itself.  Whatever is happening is either hardware related internally or software.

No one else has had this issue?
Bit retarded ;-)  I found I could have tested that speaker audio in the settings.  And the earpiece speaker works fine..

So this is PostmarketOS 3GB pinephone has no call audio... 

If I route the call audio to the rear speaker its just as bad.
(09-08-2020, 01:53 AM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote:

So.  The plot thickens.

There are two speakers in this phone, the one you heard youtube on is the rear speaker. The garbled one in calls is the ear speaker.

My phone has the same issue as yours, can place a call, but then the call audio on the pinephone is garbled, but the audio for the call is otherwise fine (the other phone recieves the call fine and the mic input is sent and its perfect)

So I have disassembled the phone and tested the earpiece speaker.    29Ohms which is fine. I then used it with some test leads to play headphone output and it was fine if not that loud but definitely audiable.  So thats a red herring to suspect the speaker itself.  Whatever is happening is either hardware related internally or software.

I have seen it quite a bit in a bunch of threads. Likely software as calls didn't used to work but do now (with poor audio).

It is helpful that you confirmed is not a software issue.
(09-08-2020, 03:11 AM)SwordfishII Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 01:53 AM)Xerxes 8933A/A Wrote:

So.  The plot thickens.

I have seen it quite a bit in a bunch of threads. Likely software as calls didn't used to work but do now (with poor audio).

It is helpful that you confirmed is not a software issue.

I think you meant not a hardware issue ;-)

Thanks for confirming though that others have seen this issue.

I figured out a little time after I could reroute the audio internally, and the call audio was just as bad on the rear speaker, and the ear speaker worked fine for system audio so it seems the hardware is OK in that respect.

I wasn't expecting for calls to work (ie connect) but audio not working so it threw me a curve ball.  Sounds like it's pretty close to working though, you can almost make out the words ;-) The driver is doing a lot right, so that's a good start. I'm very new with this PinePhone stuff, so it'll take me a while before I understand the exact state of development and where/how things are being implemented. Think I'll hit up the postmarketos development community and see if I can find this exact issue and if anyone is working on it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 787 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  installed postmarketos v23.06 no audio samlo 1 781 07-14-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: samlo
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,527 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  headset audio left <-> right desca 3 4,377 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Last Post: desca
Question Can't figure out audio routing for modem strake 4 6,468 05-22-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: nieral
Big Grin Standing on the shoulders of giants - my first Pine call dukla2000 3 4,366 02-19-2020, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Luke