automatically suppress trackpad when typing?
Hi
Is there a way to suppress the trackpad when typing?
Sometimes my palm accidentally touches the pad when I'm in the middle of typing something, and in the worst case selects a block of text already written, and them my next key stroke overwrites it.
What I would really like is a feature that for n seconds or microseconds after the last key press that the trackpad just doesn't do anything.
If I don't press a key for n period of time then the trackpad would automatically start working again.
I'm on KDE on Manjaro and I'm new to both.
thanks DNJ

actually I think I just found it
the Enable/Disable Touchpad tab in Touchpad in Settings
the default is 250ms
It would seem that I don't type fast enough :-)
(07-29-2020, 05:24 AM)dieselnutjob Wrote: Hi
Is there a way to suppress the trackpad when typing?
Sometimes my palm accidentally touches the pad when I'm in the middle of typing something, and in the worst case selects a block of text already written, and them my next key stroke overwrites it.
What I would really like is a feature that for n seconds or microseconds after the last key press that the trackpad just doesn't do anything.
If I don't press a key for n period of time then the trackpad would automatically start working again.
I'm on KDE on Manjaro and I'm new to both.
thanks DNJ

actually I think I just found it
the Enable/Disable Touchpad tab in Touchpad in Settings
the default is 250ms
It would seem that I don't type fast enough :-)

I wish Manjaro/KDE gave finer grain control of the trackpad settings, like you have above.   There is nowhere in the GUI that I have found where you can set the disable time for the trackpad Sad   ...I am sure there is some config file somewhere where I can access that...but I have thus far been too lazy to find it.   I may give the synaptics driver some have had success with.
in KDE Manjaro do this:-
Start menu:-
Applications
Settings
System settings

In the left column of system settings:-
Hardware
Input devices
Touchpad

On the right half of system settings:-
Enable/Disable Touchpad
Highlight the box "Disable touchpad when typing"
Select the timeout that you like. I now have mine at 750ms and so far so good
(07-29-2020, 02:59 PM)dieselnutjob Wrote: in KDE Manjaro do this:-
Start menu:-
Applications
Settings
System settings

In the left column of system settings:-
Hardware
Input devices
Touchpad

On the right half of system settings:-
Enable/Disable Touchpad
Highlight the box "Disable touchpad when typing"
Select the timeout that you like.  I now have mine at 750ms and so far so good

On my Manjaro 20.06 KDE on my PBP I have all the above...but I can only enable or disable the setting "Disable while typing"  It does not give me an option to adjust the MS timeout period....I can only enable or disable.  We are probably on different firmware or drivers.
I have this firmware, just applied last week https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rd-updater

This is what my settings screen looks like
[Image: Screenshot_20200731_013327.png]
...Time for me to flash the Humbert firmware (I believe I did actually...very early on in the dev. Looks like I should do it again). Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  restart trackpad without reboot? gleachkr 4 5,444 05-23-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Frustrating trackpad twirlydog 10 13,168 05-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: rene.kliment
  Manjaro Arm users - What does your trackpad/keyboard conf file look like? Eggmonkey 7 7,699 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  How to middle-click with the trackpad? rillian 5 5,863 01-16-2020, 05:17 AM
Last Post: tophneal