Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
(08-15-2016, 02:20 PM)amc2012 Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 12:11 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 09:10 AM)amc2012 Wrote: It's been a month since your last update. Any progress? 

And if not, are we at the point where the PINE folks will start swapping out any bad boards? I don't mind waiting a little longer if there's an actual fix, but at this point it seems like you're going down the hardware route. Would be nice if PINE made good with its most ardent supporters. 

amc2012,  yes we had some significant progress last night.  irc member Needles swapped out his switch for a new 
TEG S82G 8 port switch;  also, he is using cat6 cable.  he is now getting 850mb/s without packet loss.

This is an issue that is definitely related to environment (even tolerances in the switch) but apparently is also related to auto negotiation (in the master slave concept who ends up master, effectively winning the negotiation session). It seems that GbE is too new for even the switches to have it all figured out yet.  At any rate, Needles has a significant improvement by replacing the switch; which tells me that GbE switches are also morphing (getting better) and that this IS NOT a PineA64 hardware problem per se.

Still looking into this.

Thanks, Mark,

I'm still interested in feedback from @tllim on this, as I exclusively use Cat6 cable and have now tried three different GbE switches with the same results - almost zero throughput when the adapter is set to GbE. 

Not sure what you mean by GbE being "too new." Having been around for the better part of two decades, and having been RAPIDLY deployed even when it first emerged, GbE is actually one of the more mature ethernet technologies out there. Check out the Ethernet Alliance Roadmap. I work in IT, and we've been relying on GbE for a long long time now. I think it's probably safe to say that the Cisco and Netgear routers I use at home have "figured it out." 

I have *never* run into any kind of issue like this in my home or work environment. I have seen faulty ethernet ports, bad cables, bad switches, and bad ports in switches. I have effectively eliminated all these possibilities from my PINE environment through extensive testing. This is a pretty simple environment we're dealing with here, and any issues I've seen even occur when I'm not connected to anything but two machines with a switch between them (trying to access the PINE via a putty session). 

I have heard that it's environment related, just based on the fact that waldo sent in his non-functioning PINE and it worked in longsleep's environment - I still am not sure if he sent in the same power supply he was using at home or not? To me, that would be the only reasonable "environment" factor here, since many of us have already gone through the requisite network-related troubleshooting procedures.

Is your switch managed? If so, try forcing gbe on your switch. I did it here, and it worked fine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues - by yusijs - 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM