Turn by Turn alternative GPS app in Mobian
You mean geoclue support ;-) gpsd support has been in there for years! Have you tried to prime the GPS with the AGPS data? I didn't get beyond writing a proof-of-concept script for it, but it makes the first fix MUCH quicker and the lock more reliable. Might need tweaking depending on which OS you're running:
https://gist.github.com/alastair-dm/2632...e555fa6628
I can't get geoclue to work properly. On mobian the error messages are I am forbidden because the API key is invalid. On Arch I have a polkit default policy that I am having trouble changing (org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.*) that says geoclue is not authorized to access the modem. Sigh.

I am trying to integrate location with the voice assistant kalliope. As in "Tell me the closest gas station".  At this point I am integrating gpsd and it does appear to be far more suitable. Unfortunately, it does not have the cellular and wifi locate capabilities. While I view wifi locate as unnecessary, cellular locate means the GPS does not have to be active.

Side note, on all distros, (Mobian, Arch, Manjaro) many of the service daemons are puking out error messages. This is causing "some" of the inconsistencies that we are seeing.

HTH
LF
I did mean geoclue, in my defence I'm a massive idiot.

Lousy. geoclue support isn't in the navit packages yet. I've not had any issues using geoclue with anything in mobian.
In clear terms, is it possible to have with the PinePhone under Mobian an equivalent to Google Earth?
And which one?
are you aware of https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=puremaps ?
Arch user here. I compiled navit with geoclue support and downloaded map data. It works, I'm getting the correct position from time to time but it is nowhere near usable as real car navigation at the moment.
Are you talking about an unreliable GPS fix, or that the UI is a throwback to 200x? If it's the former, are you using the assistance data with the GPS? For the latter that's just where Navit is - you'd need to try something like Pure Maps for a more modern experience.
(05-18-2021, 10:04 AM)wibble Wrote: Are you talking about an unreliable GPS fix, or that the UI is a throwback to 200x? If it's the former, are you using the assistance data with the GPS? For the latter that's just where Navit is - you'd need to try something like Pure Maps for a more modern experience.

The UI is fine for me. I also tried PureMaps through flatpak. It works, but I'm getting only the position of the next cell tower I think. I activated agps using your script, according to mmcli location-status it is activated but signals is set to 'no'.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 6 4 hours ago
Last Post: penguins_rule
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 14 1,347 03-14-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Faded
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,610 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,633 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 569 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,471 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,791 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 568 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,826 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 159,015 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy