wifi does not work - authentication problem?
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum - received my phinephone community ed. today and started playing around.
I previously collected experience using the BQ Aquaris M10 running Ubuntu Touch.

I tried to get wifi up and running on my pinephone but I failed.
I see several networks besides my own network. ifconfig and iwconfig shows the wlan0 device (unassociated) and I got prompted for the passphrase (so I think HW is okay, kernel modules are loaded). However after pressing connect nothing happened.
All prerequisites mentioned in the general FAQ thread in this forum are fulfilled. I also rebooted and entered the passphrase again. No effect. I very carefully checked my input to avoid typos while entering the passphrase.

Ubuntu Touch is the FACTORY version. 
My AC runs 11b/g/n - using Channel 12 (Germany) WPA2, PSK, AES

Does anyone else encounter the same problem? Maybe it's an auth problem? Does it make sense to edit config files manually to force connecting?

Thanks a million for your advice/hints!
Mat
I have definitely experienced what looked like an Auth problem, where my WiFi password wasn’t accepted. Like during initial setup. But a warm reboot (power button -> restart ; NOT shut down) seems to solve it.
(06-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Saliency Wrote: I have definitely experienced what looked like an Auth problem, where my WiFi password wasn’t accepted. Like during initial setup. But a warm reboot (power button -> restart ; NOT shut down) seems to solve it.

Indeed, that seems to solve it. I had the same problem and then „it somehow worked at some point”, guess I rebooted. Thanks for finding this out!
(06-11-2020, 03:06 AM)nobodyinperson Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Saliency Wrote: I have definitely experienced what looked like an Auth problem, where my WiFi password wasn’t accepted. Like during initial setup. But a warm reboot (power button -> restart ; NOT shut down) seems to solve it.

Indeed, that seems to solve it. I had the same problem and then „it somehow worked at some point”, guess I rebooted. Thanks for finding this out!

Hi,

In my case it was a little bit more complicated. Obviously the NetworkManager caused the issue.

Fortunately I have an M10 with Ubports and working WiFi.

Today I compared the respective wireless setup file under /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and found out that some items are missing or corrupt (i.e. the passphrase). To get it up and running I just copied this file, edited the UUID and the MAC-Address and added the missing information. A reboot enabled authentication, but the dhcp client did not get an IP-address at first. After powering off and powering on again I got an IP-address.

WIFI is now working Big Grin - Hopefully this remains stable Smile
Important updates are installed. Now I can *really* play around with this amazing device

Thanks and best
Mat
Just a note:
There's a known problem if you have 2 or more AP's serving the same SSID.

Ie. I have 2 AP's serving the same SSID , and i'm often asked for my password , even if i have authenticated succesfully.

This happens much less frequently on the Debian port.

/Bingo
(06-23-2020, 07:45 AM)bingo600 Wrote: Just a note:
There's a known problem if you have 2 or more AP's serving the same SSID.

Ie. I have 2 AP's serving the same SSID , and i'm often asked for my password , even if i have authenticated succesfully.

This happens much less frequently on the Debian port.

/Bingo

I have this problem too with my 3 node mesh wifi. I also occasionally just lose wifi altogether and disabling/enabling wifi does not bring it back. Have to reboot before it works again.
Found another wifi problem. The wifi toggle does nothing. I can toggle wifi off and I stay connected to my wifi AP. Which also explains why toggling it on and off did nothing to get it working again when I lost wifi.
I thought i had a wifi auth problem at first too. Turns out you just need to retry a few times. Tends to get a solid and stable connection after the 3rd or 4th attempt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any way to tell CRUST to leave the wifi alone? Athansor 5 7,556 09-25-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Boot source problem. Issue confirmed. Thread renamed. Cree 2 3,706 08-26-2020, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Cree
  Any chance that we get WiFi texting/calling on UT? ragreenburg 0 2,067 08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Sound won’t work LMalilil 2 3,874 07-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Cree
  dropdown menu doesn't work daniel 3 4,622 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: natasha
  Cellular switch (sw1) causes wifi to stop working blihp 4 5,971 07-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: blihp
  5Ghz Wifi Question LMalilil 3 5,667 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hiimtye
  Does Miracast work? mercrapper 1 3,045 06-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: heng
  Only the top few rows of pixels work on stable OTA 3 NoraCodes 0 1,964 06-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Last Post: NoraCodes
  Ubports OTA won't work on my braveheart none 12 14,533 06-13-2020, 03:23 AM
Last Post: tsar_chasm