PhoenixCard img or DD?
Hi,

I would like to know which IMG should I burn, so I would like to know what are the differences between Phoenix and DD?

I use 32gb MicroSD card so I would use the extra space to store apps...

I know that the Phoenix img is for the Phoenix software... 

Thanks,
Moshe
The difference is the DD images are a Fixed size. So an 8Gb image will only give you 8Gb space and will only work on microsd of 8Gb or larger.

The Phoenix Images are size adapting. When you "burn" the image to microsd it will fit on just about any size microsd as long as it is larger than the Phoenix image you selected. Then it will re-size the image to utilize all the remaining free space. So if you install it on a 32GB microsd it will use all of that space.

Mod Note. This should be stickied.
Hey

There is no real difference from an end users perspective. Phoenix card is arguably a bit easier to use (doesnt use fixed-size images) and gives feedback (error messages) if a burn fails. I have, however, had some problems with Phoenix in the past (I haven't tried it in a while, so perhaps its changed since then). I also remember that Phoenix had a bit of lag/ stutter during first boot for a few min that I never experienced with DD.
If you use a Windows machine, use the win32imager; if you are on linux you can use the terminal or the 'restore disk image' function in disk utility.

Hope this helps Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I have mange to burn with Phoenix, since I have a 32gb file I tried to download and use the 32gb IMG but I get an error since the IMG is bigger than the space i have on my sdcard since 32gb are not net 32 but 28.9...

The Phoenix IMG is only 400~mb so how come that the regular IMG is almost 1gb and the phoenix is half of it??

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
(05-11-2016, 05:39 AM)Moshe.Vazan Wrote: I have mange to burn with Phoenix, since I have a 32gb file I tried to download and use the 32gb IMG but I get an error since the IMG is bigger than the space i have on my sdcard since 32gb are not net 32 but 28.9...

The Phoenix IMG is only 400~mb so how come that the regular IMG is almost 1gb and the phoenix is half of it??

Try formatting to 'normal' in Phoenix - still 29gb ?

Yes...

(05-11-2016, 05:47 AM)Moshe.Vazan Wrote: Yes...

Please provide card brand

[edit] what is the card formatted as ? - could you format it as ext4

[Image: 09c58f913b673373d1d9051b7757b3c8.jpg]

I will try ext4

(05-11-2016, 07:18 AM)Moshe.Vazan Wrote: [Image: 09c58f913b673373d1d9051b7757b3c8.jpg]

I will try ext4

Are you on windows ? ty something like the MiniTool Partition Wizard to see how many sectors the card has reserved under current format

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build 20160718, can't boot from PhoenixCard image EricL 0 3,002 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Last Post: EricL